No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Stained Glass Cartoons..............  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Whitefriars Stained Glass Cartoons..............
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:34:50 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Whitefriars Stained Glass Cartoons..............
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:09:15 PM »
That's super, Patrick, thanks for adding the link.  I find stained glass cartoons fascinating - the museum in Lancaster had an exhibition of their collection a few years ago (stained glass was made by at least 2 Lancaster firms) and the images were so interesting to see, especially as they had photos of the completed windows in situ alongside them.

I'll move it over to Glass News as it's not an ID request. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:53 PM »
Thanks for doing that............

:)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:19:03 PM »
thanks Patrick, very interesting..........my personal thoughts are.........

did the MoL really need to part with these - assuming all material in roll form then was it that much of a storage problem, or were they hoping for a return favour some time from the States.
I'd always assumed the V. & A. in London exhibits the national glass collection - were they offered this archive do we know...........   they have a building the size of west Wales, and would have thought these rolls could have been accommodated easily............ you should see the size of some of the Egyptology articles they store.

Often it's a case of available funds (or rather lack of) for research, rather than storage, that might give rise to parting with material, and could have been the issue here - but would have imagined we had more first hand knowledge in the U.K. with which to assess these, rather than send them overseas.

You can see the Rakow's comments that they are going to need to work with the MoL anyway. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 11:41:32 AM »
You can see the Rakow's comments that they are going to need to work with the MoL anyway. 

I think that work will be to tie up the original 'Presentation' drawing (The MOL still have these) with the cartoon.......
I do know that prior to the M.O.L giving them to Corning they were stored in a shipping container that was far from an ideal environment.

I think the biggest plus with this whole project is that Corning freely share their archives .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand