No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cute earthtones Maltese small bird  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Cute earthtones Maltese small bird
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
This is the first bird I have seen in earthtones ,it's only 8cm tall . The base is shiny and well polished, but if the light is right you can see the remnants of those groove lines known to be associated with the base finish for Malta Decorative Glass. The colours also look good for MDG.

There was an amber cased, mottled bird on ebay, sometime before Christmas, which had a similar shape (which was probably MDG).

Or could this bird be Mdina ? Is there any way of knowing for sure without having a label ?

Thanks for having a look ! Ta Mike
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Cute earthtones Maltese small bird
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »
I really, honestly and truly think you've found an Earthtones MDG bird.  ;D
From the execution as well as the base marks.
I've not seen an Earthtones bird before. Well done.  8)
It's a nice one too.

Amber cased would have been MDG too. Mdina didn't case in amber.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
Thanks very much Sue...really good to know, I had a sneaking suspicion that it might well be the case and all the other evidence seems to stack up  :)

Glad you like it , good to find something different to add to my MDG zoo......

Cheers, Mike  ;)
Mike

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
Hi Mike,
 I agree with Sue............ It looks very MDG and I think you told me on the phone you have or know of a MDG labeled penguin or bird with a polished base.

Great find and hopefully one day we will do an MDG exhibition at the National Glass Fair.  :)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
Thanks Patrick,

Yes, I do have an amber MDG penguin chick with a highly polished base and label.

I think between all the members of the GMB who collect MDG there could be a few cabinets full which would make a great display (my zoo/dogs home would take up half a shelf though  ;) ).

One advantage of bringing together different collections would be to compare and learn , especially as there is so little documentation with MDG.

Ta, Mike
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
Are the animally things not Malta Craft Glass rather than Malta Decorative Glass?
Although from the Earthtones pattern being in this bird, I would suspect MDG.
I thought Craft Glass didn't make so much of using designs in the glass itself.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:11 AM »
I have an unlabeled, amber cased, speckled elephant ....(amber over white and black) very similar to this one, which had a MDG label. I think they can be either MDG or Malta Craft Glass depending on when they were made..........

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/maltese-decorative-glass-elephant-219402922

What is needed is a sales catalog for both companies, I've been trying to search for one but it seems labels are the only way forward  :D

Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
Is this not likely to be Mdina not MDG? Its very much like Mdina/IOW birds and polished base points in that direction as well?
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 07:22:54 AM »
Not with the
the remnants of those groove lines known to be associated with the base finish for Malta Decorative Glass.
You don't see the grooves on Mdina and the base colours look particularly MDGish

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
Yes, I have double checked and you can see the lines if you get the light right. I'm unable to capture it on camera though. I've also checked my Mdina glass and no such lines are visible on any of my pieces with highly polished bases . Even though the base of this bird has a glossy look, the polishing wasn't enough to eliminate the groove marks.

The shape of this bird can also be seen in amber cased mottled (as mentioned above) and also in MDG blue , but labeled examples have still to be discovered .

Just one more question , is this bubbly yellow a feature of Mdina as well as MDG......
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand