No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frit weight with bubbles,American?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Frit weight with bubbles,American?
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
Hi all,this weight has a broken Pontiil with spider web stress marks around the pontil,it has clear bright glass with small bubbles and is heavy with a lot owear to the base,any thoughts many thanks.i'm struggling with my photo size at the moment,so if they're to small I'll post again later.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Frit weight with bubbles,American?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
Having looked up frit weights a bit I have realised they are tricky to id,would the broken pontil and clear glass narrow it down a bit?i'm not sure how the Belgians ,American ,finished off their bases,but would guess the Scottish would have a polished or broken pontil,the only other help I can give is the snapped off pontil is small neat and slightly raised,there is a lot of wear to the outer ring of the foot and the glass is bright and heavy in the hand .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »
Base finishing for this type of weight from mainland Europe and America is extremely variable.

The Scottish examples are not like this one. They tend to have well prepared layers (1, 2 or 3) often with a white or coloured ground for each layer. They have vertical "legs" that are carefully positioned and a floating air bubble above the "legs". They are known as "Harlequin" (Ysart)  and "Fountain" or "Aladdin's Cave" (Perthshire Paperweights & John Deacons) and are of much better quality than the simpler "frit & bubble" types from Europe or America.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:51:27 PM »
Thanks Kevin,what sort of date are we looking at here do you think ,and would the glass colour not nail down the origin either ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand