No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swan pot?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Swan pot?
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
Hi all,I'm not big on glass swans and it was only the large amount of wear on the base that pricked my interest,it has quite a few stretched bubbles in the glass and I think the base is pressed with rings and the top blown,it has that brittle sound and I still can't find my uv torch,anyone seen one of these before,many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Swan pot?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
Seen these type of rings on Pyrex. It is a pressed glass bowl that has been shaped after moulding, possibly a frigger. Also sure there has been another piece on the board with these rings... but searching for rings or concentric rings is not very fruitful.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
If you were located in the U.S. I'd say it was from Mexico as we see tons of this type from there around here.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
Do you mean with that base? Or pressed glass bowls with the same base? Mexican glass comes here too :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »
Thanks for the input,just to add it's about 6" ht and the wear looks genuine to me ,again has a brittle sound when flicked,the Mexican glass I've come into contact with had a lot more bubbles,but it could be a holiday momento,it looks very much to me the top has been stuck onto the base with folds of glass smudging over the edges here and there,hope this helps,uv torch on order.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »
Do you mean with that base? Or pressed glass bowls with the same base? Mexican glass comes here too :)

Tell you the truth I never bother looking at the bottom as I have no interest in them. The are common here & overrun the gas stations/convenience store in TX, OK, AR, NM. You can find them in many shapes/forms...one on eBay is below with a checkered bottom although not all of them are from Mexico...Sooner Glass in OK also makes them athough normally they usually make the gaudy stretched type.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-green-glass-swan-made-in-Mexico-/141579989878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f6d33376&forcev4exp=true

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
Thanks Ohio,to my eyes it's a different animal but not ruling Mexico out just yet. :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 12:05:06 PM »
Not saying same maker but a direction to check out http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59406.0.html

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »
Thanks Frank,the base rings did remind me of a pressed glass jug with holly decoration from Davidson I have,so I'm glad someone with a lot more glass knowledge  has mentioned it,by the way it didn't glow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand