No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian ,Victorian, Edwardian Heavy Glass footed bowl  (Read 586 times)

Offline nicky00

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass collecting
    • uk
Georgian ,Victorian, Edwardian Heavy Glass footed bowl
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:12:42 PM »
Any help much appreciated in identifying with info.

Diameter is 9cms at the top
Height is 16cms

Has a lead tinge to the glass

Mark star like at base inside stem

The main picture is upside down as it was the best pic, so stem is on top  :-\

Thanks
Nicky

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Georgian ,Victorian, Edwardian Heavy Glass footed bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »
hello Nicky  -  doubt that you'll ever find a maker.     As you know, some C20 cut glass carries a backstamp, but generally pieces dating prior to about 1920 ish don't, and unless you can find a particular design in a catalogue then attribution is a complete non-starter.

The foot appears smooth which suggests Continental, but not a reliable indication of origin, and it looks thick and clumsy, lacking any cut decoration or base star.       In removing the pontil scar I'd suggest the base was simply ground/polished flat for economic reasons.
What is the extent of wear on the underside of the foot?  -  and looking at the shape of the top rim, am wondering if you're missing a lid of sorts.

The decoration is fairly common for cut glass  -  relief diamonds - although they aren't in relief literally - it's just an appearance from the style of cutting, and fan splits.   Is the cutting sharp, or does it feel smooth, which might indicate a more recent manufacture.   If I had to suggest an age then possibly first third of C20  -  if it was C19 then I would have expected a better quality foot and considerable wear, plus some damage to the points of the diamonds.

The star like mark might possibly be a result of where the foot or stem would have been attached to the bowl part - but I'm really not sure on that.

Such pieces are often a disappointment when it comes to provenance, but regret we have to live with that.   Hope you like cut glass, and it is an attractive piece  -  let's hope someone can give you a better idea of its history. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nicky00

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass collecting
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
Thank you so much Paul for all the information.

The fan splits are sharp as so are the diamons.
The base has some scratches ( light) and looks like the glass although hollow is thickly blown.

I agree the top appears as if it should have something on it ecause of the shape and 3/4 cms width, possibly.

The knowledge and advice on here is immeasurable , even when there is no perfect answer, it is all much appreciated and of great interest.

Best Regards
Nicky

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:15:58 PM »
quote.............."immeasurable"   .........      not too many long words please nicky - we're simple folk really. ;)

glad to hear the cutting is sharp  -  all that acid polishing, some time post 1925 ish (for the sake of economics of course) - in many ways ruined feel of the glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand