No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian/Czech? Silver/Gold Enameling, Strange Shape. ID = Loetz Carneol  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Went to a home sale & picked up a very strange shaped vase, 8 1/2" height, 6" diameter, gold & silver enameling, cased. I don't have a clue but am guessing Czech/Bohemian. Vase was filthy dirty & enameling was hardly visible. Roman Numeral? III in bottom. Rim ground flat with gold. Any input very much appreciated on this one as I am clueless. Thanks, Ken

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Bohemian/Czech? Silver/Gold Enameling, Strange Shape
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »
Hi Ken, Loetz Carneol, may be worth looking into.

Greg

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:12:06 PM »
having looked in the Truitt's book, would agree with Greg's suggestion  -  apparently Carneol is one of the varieties of Marmorierte, made in imitation of stone.       Perhaps they had agate in mind.            Do the whitish streaks react to the u.v. torch Ken?     

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:15 PM »
Greg & Paul...well I am floored. I checked into Carneol & on the 3rd pic to the right of this site is (piece in the background) a satin finished vase with a pattern that does resemble the one I have with the white streaks more present (vividly) than most of the Carneol pictured & yes Paul I checked the interior white with a large blacklight & it does glow green...will have to wait until dark to check the streaks but interior does glow. Don't really know how to thank you guys sufficiently as I had no idea to even check Loetz because its so different than "normal" Loetz.  Site I checked is below. All I can say is much appreciated. Ken
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/100197-loetz-carneol--all-shapes-and-sizes

Edited: Well this just about clinches it. Completed eBay auction. Pattern is same as mine. Guess I made a decent $15 buy & didn't even know it. Will keep it. Thanks again guys.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOHEMIAN-CZECH-HARRACH-CARNEOL-ART-GLASS-VASE-/111545919543?orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&nma=true&si=TIXTqGsUaghMnB1mEzFBqTcHduY=&forcev4exp=true

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:40 AM »
Hi Ken  -  I think the credit for this one must go to Greg  -  without his initial suggestion don't think I'd have realized what this was...............    anyway, congratulations  - attractive and a very good find :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand