No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wrythen & Dented Stourbridge vase with intaglio cutting Walsh ? Powell?  (Read 522 times)

Offline melbryan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • Liverpool
I have recently picked up this wrythen and dented 6.5" tall what looks like a John Walsh example but is intaglio cut, someone mentions Powell on another page, correct pontil for Powell. Any ideas would be extremely gratefull. Apologies for the bad photos, very hard to photograph.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Cutting of this type is intaglio; it's rock crystal and cameo that isn't. Has it actually got a pontil mark? I can't see one. In any case, the pontil mark is not a good way of determining maker; it's only one of the clues. Is it lead crystal?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline melbryan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • Liverpool
Hello, Thank you for your reply, yes it is lead glass (it rings when tapped), and here are a couple of the pontil, it seems to be ground and polished.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I can see it now, but it's not an exclusive. I think my guess might be Webb from the optic swirl, but it could be Walsh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand