No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please to identify ice pick? upright flower? weight  (Read 1065 times)

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Help please to identify ice pick? upright flower? weight
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
Hi,
I bought this weight a while ago - not my usual thing but it intrigued me and I loved the colour- I have no idea about it - I have looked and found nothing quite the same ! I'm not even sure what the correct description is.

It is approx. 3.25" diameter x 2.5" high, the glass seems fairly clear in colour - it may have a slight yellow tinge but that could just be reflecting from the orange.

The "frit" (is that the correct term) is quite rough - yellow / red, quite a few black bits - it looks sparkly but I think that's just from tiny bubbles - when you look at it magnified the coloured ground (not the clear) looks crazed (like old tiles). Pontil scar and base ground a bit but only roughly. Pitting to the top of the weight. Could it have been re-ground?

6 armed "flower" rising through a doughnut shape bubble.

Is it old (date?)or pretending to be - likely origins? or is it a "probably never know"! ;)
Any help greatly appreciated.

Roberta

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help please to identify ice pick? upright flower? weight
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »
Could be Bohemian or from Pilkington's The orange is certainly a match for Pilkington (ignore the plate). Datewise 50s/60s70s/80s if Pilkington, who knows. I've never been able to discover when the museum opened (more than 30 years ago) or if there were backdoor PWs. Pilkington won't say

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
I think Christine may be correct with the Pilkington idea.

The photo below (a very poor, quick reference shot - with flash much too close!) shows part of a box of weights that the owner told me were from the Pilkington works and made by Czech workers as friggers. The designs follow the older "Bohemian" and "Czech" weights but the names (on some of the weights) are English ones.

Top left of my photo shows an orange & off white (?) "chunky frit" type weight and if you look closely, you can see a few "black bits". Also, at the bottom of the image is a "name weight" that has a typical "bohemian spider" or "arms with central bubble" as part of its makeup.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
I'm pleased to have seen that page of yours - now I know where I've seen the Pilkington crocus before, as well as somewhere around here, niggling and tempting me a little, but I've left it. whew. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »
Thanks all for the input! I must admit my initial thoughts were Bohemian - I'd never even considered Pilkingtons - it's always one that I completely forget about!
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand