No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual post war Monart lamp in red ?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
unusual post war Monart lamp in red ?
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »
 an unusual Monart lamp? post war in red with gold adventurine and purple splashes , when I bought this it had been spray painted gold in the inside of shade and base and had years of thick grime and showed plenty signs of having age   and had been  rewired wrong with modern cable and inline switch , now all sorted has the typical Monart post war mushroom lamp collar for the shade to fit into which has the hole drilled in the collar for cable entry to the double lamp fitting ( diameter of the shade rim and the base collar are exactly the same as all the other Monart post war mushroom lamps I have also the red colourway looks like some of the red pieces I already own , first one ive seen and also a few other of the big Monart guys have never seen one either , shade seems to be the same  shape as the pink  lamp that was on display  at perth museum , could have been a frigger made at Moncrieff not sure , sold as Monart style but seller thought it was  probably French, which helped make it nice and cheap , ;D maybe not the greatest shape/design which maybe is the reason I and other collectors  haven't seen another yet but still nice to add to my lamp collection , anyone have any other info they could add to this please let me know,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: unusual post war Monart lamp in red ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:47:48 PM »
How on earth did you get the gold paint out, without damaging the glass  ??? ??? ???

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
How on earth did you get the gold paint out, without damaging the glass  ??? ??? ???
I poured halve a bottle of nail polish remover in each piece bought  from home bargains  69p   kept turning them let it sit at different angles an then used a cloth wrapped around a small stick and it cleaned it all off with no damage also took off all the thick grime and nicotine , plus side is that it evaporates and leaves no smell ,

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 06:01:22 PM »
I once discovered a Doulton lustre bowl under layers of thick black paint with copper spray paint on top of that.
Mother had got at it during one of her christmas decorating sessions.
Off into the back garden with some Nitromors (commercial paint stripper - dichloromethane) did the trick.

Much more harmful than nail varnish - but it does smell lovely...  :-X

One needs to watch out for treasures that have been painted over. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:08:22 PM »
the nail polish remover worked a treat took all the small dots of surface paint off from years of painting walls with rollers aswell

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »
But was your own nail polish not ruined? ;)
(And did you have Adele's permission to pinch it?)

I have been experimenting with a tiny spot nail polish remover inside a bit of Loetz Schaumglass. I'm not sure what it's really doing. I had a small soaked wodge of kitchen roll left after remvoing some price tag glue, so I tried it out.
The vase has been silvered inside, I don't know if this was an original feature or not.
The metal is all tarnished and mostly scratched off, so it has grubby looking black stuff spread patchily all over inside. Some places appear to have a thin layer of something akin to Plaster of Paris under the silver metal.

The nail polish remover seems to be getting rid of at least the black stuff, but I can't tell if it's taking the metal and/or Plaster of Paris away or not. I am currently contemplating/dithering over a bottle of silver polish dip, eyeing it up and wondering if I should have a go at it with that.
I do wish I knew if this internal coating was supposed to be there or not. It was like that when I bought it, (as a bit of WMF). I thought at first it was just dirty. ::)

I really love the shape of this mushroom lamp - it's much more "modernist" than the traditional styles - nearly retro.
Ahead of their time, were the Ysarts. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
lol sue I didn't dare pinch adeles nail varnish remover I went and bought my own, it took the residue left from an old  label on the shade right off , at first I thought it was damage like a gouge taken out the glass as it was very hard but turns out it was old label glue, it seemed to take off all grime if left on to soak for a minute or two,  im wondering if it would remove old water marks/ bloomimg in vases and decanters etc

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
the base with the lovely gold paint finish inside it and the rim of the shade where someone had glued green felt to protect it when sitting on the glass collar of the base, the polish remover lifted the felt and all the glue off straight away

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 03:07:48 PM »
 8)
At least all the gunge was actually protecting the glass from damage.
When nail polish remover doesn't work, I head for Michael's stash of meths.

(He doesn't drink it - it's for his camping stove.  :P )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand