No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an early piece of Phoenician glass on ebay Germany,with silver chloride?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Just wanted to know when Phoenician glass first started as this has silver chloride and looks to be a very nice , early example.....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Alte-signierte-Glasschale-Phoenician-Malta-mit-Original-Etikett-/251681340231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3a99607b47

Not intending to buy it but well worth the price I think.

Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
There is some info here from Sue but no date ......the ebay seller also makes a comment about WMF !

I'm looking through the 'Times of Malta' to try to find some job adverts   ::).......

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34392.msg189823.html#msg189823

Ta, Mike
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I haven't tried to translate the listing, Mike.
Phoenician was set up by Leonard Mulligan, who was also Michael Harris' partner in setting up Gozo in '89. (Mark's book, p 68).
Phoenician Glass was in Silema on the Island of Manoel. (Lesley Jackson 20th Century Factory Glass, p.103).
I don't have a date for phoenician being set up.

I do like these little bowls - I have one beside me in blues, greens and swirly whites; with yellows (from silver) and the odd bit of pinky-ochre with bubbles. They strike me as being slightly later Phoenician - they're not based on Mdina designs, they're really heading off in their own (not yet recognised!) artistic direction with these.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks very much Sue, they are nice (didn't know they were based there  ! I did buy it in the end.....just hope they can post to the U.K. at a reasonable price. Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I think Sliema is on mainland (errr ....island of ) Malta..........

http://www.sliema-malta.com/

Ta Mike
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Perhaps it was there and you can get to it via a bridge or ferry from Sliema ! :D
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I've been busy googling nowhere - all the sites that were related to Phoenician glass are now defunct.

Has it gone out of business?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
So have I , they were on the Island of Manoel as Lesley Jackson says.

They may have moved to here.............

http://maltapass.com.mt/en/attractions-in-malta/discount/14/phoenician-glass-blowers.htm?id=14

Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I've been looking through the 'Times of Malta' and the earliest advertisement for Phoenician Glassblowers Ltd., I can find , is on the 26 March 1986 , the address is Manoel Island and it states " Introducing a new concept in glass design "  and gives factory opening times.

Ta, Mike
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand