No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Paperweight Query  (Read 1157 times)

Offline jimbo1

• Members
Mdina Paperweight Query
« on: April 18, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me on this one, I picked up this paperweight during the week and at first thought it to be Mdina and I'm still sure it is but the foot is puzzling me a little.

The paperweight looks very Mdina, blue, whites and yellows with that green encased glass you get with early Mdina

Measures 3" high x 3" wide

I know and own several IOW paperweights with a foot but have never seen a Mdina one footed.

Did Mdina make footed papererweights? Is this Mdina or IOW?

Thanks for the help

James

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Mdina Paperweight Query
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »
I would say IOW James, here's a different example in Mdina like colours with an Isle of Wight Studio Glass label. I don't recall seeing any footed paperweights like this from Mdina if my memory serves me right.....

http://www.antiquesyoungguns.co.uk/stock/2131,isle-of-wight-studio-glass-pedestal-paperweight-by-michael-harris.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »
I'd say not Mdina - it's got a cobalt blue in it for a start, and footed weights are not known to come from Mdina.
I'm not that sure about IoWSG either. Sorry not to be of more help. Pwts are not my thing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
Thanks Greg and Sue,

I may have solved my own problem (must be getting good at this)

The weight got me thinking about another IOW weight I own, I have about a dozen or so pieces of Seaward that I bought as a collection a few years back stored in the garage and I remembered a weight that came with it, I had assumed it was a Seaward. Anyway, I have dug it out and it has the same core as the other weight only encased in blue glass (why I thought it maybe Seaward)

So The IOW connection seems the right path.

Many Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand