No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Mdina or Experimental I.O.W Aurene Large Cylinder Vase w. Silver Chloride  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi All,

Would welcome any thoughts on this large cylinder vase, with iridescent streaks of silver chloride. The colour reminds me of some I.O.W Aurene pieces I have seen, however, the base finish is more in keeping with early Mdina pieces, in that it has a large ground and polished pontil mark.

Could this be an early forerunner of Aurene produced at Mdina or an Isle of Wight Aurene piece with a ground and polished pontil mark?

The other noticeable factor is the fairly large size, the cylinder measures, just under 10 inches tall and weighs 1112 grams. The size and base finish in many ways remind me of a large Mdina Rosenthal cylinder vase I have (colourway aside).

All thoughts welcome.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I'm not sure I can help too much. I agree with all you suggest, and that's all I could suggest myself.
Polished round pontil marks are not known to appear on early Aurene, but the way the colours are worked, it looks far more IoW than Mdina.
How wide is it? I was wondering if dimensions might help, given IoW were a bit more restrictive about size, although I've got some unusual sizes of Aurene cylinders - and unusual colour combinations. The cylinders, especially if big, were more prone to experimentation.
I have two unusual Tortoiseshell cylinders - both have a very yellow colour of background glass and the way the design is executed looks the same, but one is Mdina (Marked on the base) the other is early IoWSG. It's got a (very squished) flame mark on a button. Just to show you how very, very similar early IoW and late Harris period Mdina are.
I do have a couple of massive Aurene cylinders, they're (roughly) 10.5 " tall and 4.5" wide. (I can't find a tape measure, not even the one the cat shredded and have had to estimate using my hand span, which is 7.5".)
Would you like pics of them? They're fairly standard Aurene, though, nothing weird. My weird bits are inbetweeny and wide.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I've decided the bottom of your cylinder is Mdina, but the top part must be IoWSG!  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for taking a look Sue.

I've decided the bottom of your cylinder is Mdina, but the top part must be IoWSG!  ;)

This was pretty much the same as my conclusion!

The diameter of my vase is 10.5cm or just over 4.1 inches.

I did also ponder over the possibility of early Tortoiseshell, its a tricky one to call, given the Aurene likeness, there are certainly traits that could apply to both studios.  However, the pontil finish does keep bringing me back to Mdina, perhaps it was an experimental piece? Maybe Ron would have the answer?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think you need Marlene Bristow, but she's retired. ::)
Ron might know if pontil marks where ever roundly polished at IoWSG.
I really think that is the question that needs answered to get the maker right. The top part is too IOWSG-y to really be from Mdina, unless Mr Harris was already experimenting in an IoWSG-y manner, just before leaving.

But the two cylinders I showed suggest the more Mdina style progressed into IoWSG, rather than started at Mdina and was then amalgamated into IoWSG. And there were a fair few really thick swirly inside-out style sorts of things which are really early IoWSG. All I know of really early IoWSG is really very Mdina-ish.

The Harris' brought everything they owned back from from Malta - including some coloured enamels, which is why some of the early strapped Aurene-like stuff is made in Mdina colours - they really were Mdina colours!
Everything at IoWSG was fairly experimental at the start, it took a wee while before actual ranges were decided upon and put into production. :)

I hope I've made myself clear - I'm starting to get confused now. ;)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Crystal clear, thanks for your thoughts, they are very much appreciated  :)

I'll see if I can send Ron a couple of pictures and let you know when I hear back.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think it was most likely made at IoWSG. The polished round mark is the "worry".
It's not too thick is it? Even my very tall cylinders are quite thick. (perhaps 6-7 mm). Thinness of glass in the construction suggests IoWSG more than Mdina.

These are my two big Aurene cylinders. You will be able to see a grainy texture in them that is also present in your piece, this is far more typical of IoWDG than Mdina. (until you get to post-Harris period Marble)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for the pictures Sue.

This one measures 4mm thick, in comparison my Rosenthal cylinder is around 7mm.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I've got the odd finely blown bit of early Mdina too, and the short tortoiseshell I showed is the IoWSG one - it's thicker than the Mdina one - but that was perhaps because the same size of gather was gathered, and so the shorter one ended up thicker. Perhaps estimating the size of gather needed was still something that required refinenent?

It being thin, though does support an IoW attribution.

Is there any way we could be completely off track and it is something outlandish like WMF - I've been convinced WMF was Mdina before. It was a piece mhcgolfclub had for id-ing here. ;D
I hope John turns up and says something.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Been busy...

If I had to choose between the two I would say Mdina - base finish and green blue tint to the glass. I am not convinced though, I see little to make me think IoW, there must be some other contenders too.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand