No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Mdina or Experimental I.O.W Aurene Large Cylinder Vase w. Silver Chloride  (Read 3339 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
But no suggestions as to what any of those others might be - that was my problem, John. I keep forgetting the names of makes which can be similar.
There does appear to be a coating of iridesence on it, is it really there, Greg?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
No, no other suggestions at the moment.

It can be difficult when you can't handle an item.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks both for your thoughts.  :)

I'm sure the iridescence is Silver Chloride, there's no coating present. I have attached a handful of additional pictures I took the other day, one with flash to pick out the iridescence. Hope these help.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Do the colours resemble anything going on in this Mdina bottle/decanter without silver chloride.....or  is the colour all silver chloride ? I didn't know IOWSG did polished pontil marks , are there any examples of this ? Also , there seems to be lots of age to the base which is very unusual ! :)  Ta, Mike
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
P.S. Here is a link to my only early WMF piece , has a definite green tinge to the glass and the blue colour is confined to the base area (mostly) and quite a bit of age to the base.............(not as much as yours though ! )......only blue and silver chloride combo..

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52825.0.html

Ta, Mike

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It was the pinky-purple sort of iridescent colour I saw that was confusing me. It could just be a trick of the light.
The new pics do show the silver deposits on the outside, and they do look rather IoW-ish, cometty sort of trails...
But I wouldn't go ruling WMF  It is difficult when you can't cop a feel!
Thanks for tracking that thread down, Mike - there's a link to the vase mhcgolfclub had in that one, so very easy for me to find. ;)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30527.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
It has similarities to this http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1732
Not the best picture and can't remember what the base is like, but the only colorant is silver chloride

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
the only colorant is silver chloride
- not all that uncommon for Mdina, I have a couple of bits like that (will be able to add a couple of photos later).

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I have to retract my 'geen tinge' /tint comment .....none , just a play with the light from the blue in the base area  ::)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Your stoppered bottle uses yellow and orange coloured enamels Mike, no silver salts in this design (unless some get in by accident/cross contamination).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand