No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Boda Kuba  (Read 2820 times)

Offline AClose

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
Kosta Boda Kuba
« on: May 08, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
Hi- I'm brand new to this forum, so hope I'm doing this right! I just picked up this set of glasses and from what little (and I mean LITTLE!) I can find online, they seem like they may be Kosta Boda in their Kuba line. Is anyone familiar with this and, if so, would you agree? Really the only source I can find with any info is replacements.com and they measure up size-wise to the glasses on there. Thank you for any help!

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
Re: Kosta Boda Kuba
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
Hi,
Firstly, welcome to the board. I'm new here myself and I'm sure that, like me, you'll find this a friendly and most informative site with so many members willing to share their vast knowledge of all things glass. I found this copy of a Kosta Boda catalogue which appears to confirm your views: http://glasnamn.se/Kosta/kuba.html
Regards
Nick

Offline AClose

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:44:06 PM »
Nick- thank you! That helps immensely, as the cordials in this set have elongated cubes as shown in the catalogue (and these were the only ones that were not shown on replacements.com). Looks more and more like these are Kuba- thank you!! Now I need to figure out when they were in production and what they're worth ;-)

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
Hi again,
The designer was Elis Bergh who was lead designer at Kosta Boda from 1929 - 1950, so pre 1950 is the best I can manage :). Prices aren't usually given on this site, try the prviously sold items area of ebay or there are some for sale on etsy at the moment.
Kind Regards
Nick

Offline AClose

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
Thank you again Nick! I did see the name of Elis Bergh on the image you sent, which is very helpful for dating these glasses (roughly!) Something I'm wondering about is that the edges of each cube are beveled, and from the looks of the few pics I've seen I can't tell if that's original or if they've been polished down to hide nicks or flea bites. If anyone knows about this detail I'd be thrilled to hear :-)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
Are they all bevelled. If so, it's original. It's done to help reduce chipping and to avoid a sharp feeling edge

Offline AClose

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 06:19:14 PM »
Yes- they are all beveled- and quite nicely (smooth and polished).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand