No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identify this'Greener' 'Daisy & Button' Sugar Basin  (Read 3440 times)

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
Hi,
I have very limited information on Henry Greener, but I believe that this 'daisy & button'/ 'daisy & hobnail' sugar basin has their 'lion & halberd' trademark imprinted on the base. I would appreciate any opinions/information on pattern/registration and date of manufacture.
Kind regards
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Please help identify this'Greener' 'Daisy & Button' Sugar Basin
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
hi Nick - looks as tho you are probably correct with the Greener attribution - according to Ray Slack the lion rampant with halberd was used by their factory for about the last fifteen years of the C19.                 Lattimore shows a page from the Pottery Gazette for April 1887 which shows a variety of designs which were produced for the Golden Jubilee - almost all of which have this daisy and hobnail pattern.
Regret I'm not familiar with your particular sugar, and in the absence of a Rd. No. we may be able to pin down a date accurately, but certainly Greener did produce sugars (like just about everyone else)  -  have looked in the books but unable to see this particular design - perhaps Fred will have more information.

Believe Edward Bolton also produced the same design  -  although their pieces obviously wouldn't have had the Greener trade mark.

Have you tried the Board's Glass Gallery -  Fred's compilation of pressed designs with known makers?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the information. Data on Angus & Greener and Henry Greener is fairly sparse on the net, so it's always good to be given more. One of the first places I look these days are the GMB galleries, top resource for pressed glass collectors, no luck with this one though.
Kind regards
Nick

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/markd-h.htm
gives dates for the two versions of the Greener lion trademark as:
1st lion TM (with lion holding a star in upper paw) – Henry Greener 1875- c 1885;
2nd lion TM (with lion holding halberd in upper paw) – Greener & Co. c 1885 – 1900.

I presume that the transition from 1st TM to 2nd TM happened when Henry Greener became Greener & Co.

So, Nick, I think it safe to assume that your sugar bowl was manufactured sometime between 1885 and 1900.

I’ve checked through my reference photos of unregistered Henry Greener & Greener & Co. designs (all with 1st or 2nd versions of the lion trademark) and have found several examples  decorated with the ‘daisy and  button/hobnail’ pattern (all with the 2nd lion TM, but without RD numbers) , including a clear glass creamer to match Nick’s sugar bowl (see attached photo - © 40mb), oval dishes in amber and blue glass, and a nappy or handled sweetmeat dish in blue glass (photo © leroybe51). This is  the first time that I have seen a sugar bowl in this pattern, though.

I notice that the advert from the Pottery Gazette shown on page 82 of 'Lattimore' shows the items with this 'daisy and button/hobnail all having the pattern number 2006 (including the nappy or sweetmeat dish).

Fred.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »
Nick

Your sugar appears in an illustrated advertisement of "New Designs" from Greener & Co in April 1887 as part of the No. 2006 pattern.

Sid

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:03:32 PM »
In
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54290.msg307828.html#msg307828
the Greener & Co. pattern #2006 is attributed as being registered design number 71736 of 9 April 1887 (which corresponds pretty well with the Pottery Gazette Golden Jubilee advert of 1st April 1887).

Jenny Thompson (page 15) describes this design as ‘design for the ornamentation of glass’ but does not actually illustrate it, and all of the examples that I have seen of this pattern have the 2nd Greener trademark but none have a registered design number.

The definitive answer would be to compare the design representation from RD 71736 with the #2006 ‘daisy & button/hobnail pattern.

Fred.

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:56 PM »
Thank you Fred, Sid and Christine for all your help, it's much appreciated. Fred, as with any of my photo's on here, please feel free to use them if needed.
Kind Regards
Nick

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
sorry to say that presently I don't have any pix of 71736

Offline nick.a

• Members
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »
Hi Paul,
Is it possible you could put it on your list for when you next visit Kew?
Kind regards
Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand