No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French scramble weight?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
French scramble weight?
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
Hi all,I bought this weight with a small collection of others and i'm fairly certain French and old with a lot of wear and a shallow polished Pontil,it's about 3" wd,2.5"ht,any ideas on the maker, many thanks,in the centre of one of the photos there seems to be the letters c p h in white on black,but that maybe a cane gone wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: French scramble weight?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
I am not sure if this is French or not.

The "CPH" (in the centre of the second photo?) looks like cane slippage rather than letters.

Could you please provide photos of the full weight showing:
a) top view, straight on
b) side view straight on
c) angled base view to show any outer "basal rim" as well as the the polished area
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
Ok will do Kevin,I hope your thinking Bohemian and not East Peckham  :-\

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:30:44 AM »

Hi.  The canes and fragments look like Saint-Louis to me - I think it is one of their scrambles.   These vary in content,  from fairly small fragments of cane and tube (like this one) through to lots of whole twists, tubes and cane pieces and (occasionally) a  few silhouette canes for good measure!  You can also find bits of aventurine in them sometimes.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:17:36 AM »
Thanks Alan,I was thinking St. Louis myself,no tittering please!,mainly because the size dimensions are the same as an example in one of my books,sadly no picture canes but lots of lovely things going on keeping me absorbed for hours and having never really held a weight like this before the heaviness surprised me,here are the other photos as promised.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Thanks for the extra photos. I am now happy enough that Alan is correct with Saint-Louis.

The straight-on profile view simply looks "right" to me, even though I have personally seen few Saint-Louis weights in the hand and very few scrambled examples. In fact, the main books do not show many examples of the Saint-Louis scrambled weights.

However, there are cane structures and colours that seem right - especially with the "salmon pink" colour and cog canes with 14 teeth (not solely exclusive to Saint-Louis but a good indicator).
KevinH

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »
Thanks Kevin,there's one in my book,World Paperweights Millefiori & Lampwork by Robert G Hall,with about the same dimensions, silhouettes and aventurine,must be a very rare one I would imagine.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »

Hi.  I think there are few in the books because the authors find them relatively unappealing (like Baccarat rock grounds, for example).  In my experience they are not as common as Clichy scrambles, but turn up maybe as often as Baccarat macedoine examples.  However, the Saint-Louis ones vary more in size (from mini to large).  Of those I have had, maybe a third have had a silhouette or two. Here is an image of one I had with 3 silhouettes and aventurine.

Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »
What a lovely example and thanks for showing Alan,got to say I like them and I can't stop studying mine which everyone else in the household are finding a bit odd. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand