No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: davidson glass 1937 coronation loving cup  (Read 1134 times)

Offline bern f

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
davidson glass 1937 coronation loving cup
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:17:07 AM »
looking for information on this loving cup, believed to be davidson glass, 1937 coronation,  any idea of how many were made and colors made , also rarity ?? , where can i find info on valuations on this

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: davidson glass 1937 coronation loving cup
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
hello bern  -  welcome to the GMB. :)

don't think I can offer much in the way of help, although believe that both Davidson and Jobling made plinths with what are known as turret feet - those projections around the base that lift the plinth.             I could be wrong, but to my eyes the curved mouldings running around the plinth don't appear to match the profile of the same shape on known Davidson plinths  -  how many projections (turrets) are there on your plinth?
Davidson plinths as far as I know had three feet, and Jobling had four.             On your plinth, the central band appears unusually wide for a Davidson match.
According to the books, some Davidson plinths plinths show lettering in relief 'Made in England' plus an indication of pattern No.     Is there anything similar on this plinth.

Having said all that, I will quote from the Stewart's book...........'Davidson Glass - A History'  -  and under the heading of Commemorative Glass there is the following................ 
""The next coronation Occurred in 1937 when George VI and Queen Elizabeth were crowned.         For this event Davidson created a loving cup.
the cup was part of the Grecian range and was a Registered Design - No. 816983, and was Registered on 9th December 1936.        The factory pattern No. is 314.""

It does look as though the suggestion that this is Davidson is correct, but beyond the above information regret I know nothing about the range of colours offered  -  there appears not to be a picture or illustration of this loving cup in the Stewart's book  -  always possibly there might be something on the Davidson internet site.

We don't discuss values here since everyone has their own idea of what something is worth, and if this is an uncommon item then you may have some difficulties in locating other examples with which to make an assessment.              You might try auction houses or some of the well known  commercial internet buying and selling sources  -  wish you luck.               Still not sure that the plinth matches the cup  -  it may  -  let's hope someone else can confirm for you :)

Great item by the way.

P.S.      Since the book omits any details regarding size, it would be appreciated if you will provide dimensions of both the cup and plinth separately please  -  it's usual practice here to give details of size  - it can often help with id.  :)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: davidson glass 1937 coronation loving cup
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »
Hi Bern.....what a lovely find there is a little bit of info on the cloud glass webpage about this cup it appears there in green...http://www.cloudglass.com/r19311945.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand