No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh cut mustards.  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Walsh cut mustards.
« on: July 21, 2015, 06:57:43 PM »
hardly as appealing as Christine's recent piece of Walsh - but perhaps of interest to collectors of British table glass etc.

Certainly individual  -  the picture showing the feet and stems shows clearly some considerable difference in shape - just what you'd expect on hand made pieces - with heights something like 78 mm and 83 mm.
England is missing from both backstamps, which Reynolds suggests makes the date period something like 1926 - 1930, but I'm really not sure if it's that clear and cut and accurate  -  anyone care to comment:)
Good to find them with their lids still  -  I haven't yet waded through the book to see if they're shown  -  those drawings always give me a headache :'(         

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Walsh cut mustards.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »
Good finds Paul, don't think any of my Walsh pieces are marked, know what you mean about those pictures ! ::) ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
Nice ones. It's a similar cut to this salt that Bernard said was either Walsh or Tudor
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=397
I think I only have one piece of marked Walsh and that's the tiny Pompeian vase from you

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:48 PM »
Some of mine, not one marked, ::)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
thanks for your contributions - you're both far better at Walsh coloured/art glass than me, so can't really comment much on material other than cut glass.           Could be wrong, but perhaps I'm getting the impression that cut glass is more likely to be found with a backstamp, as opposed to coloured material  -  but then again it may simply be that small backstamps are more difficult to see on coloured glass -  when found they are almost always faint, though I do have a pair of finger bowls where the mark is very clear.
When you consider the factory's output, it's surprising that we don't see more pieces with a mark  -  if pushed suppose I could muster about a dozen pieces of marked clear cut glass - and then there is my blue Pompeian grapefruit which is marked, but it's the devil to see.
For me, it's stemware that seems to be the most commonly found items with a backstamp  -  'Fruiting Vine' and 'Kenilworth' must have been popular in their day.           Also worth remembering that the factory used a variety of Registered Trade marks over the years, some of which may not always be recognized as belonging to Walsh.             As far as this mark is concerned, and its successor, perhaps the percentage of pieces stamped was fairly small. 

My suggestion for the reasoning behind Bernard's thoughts - re the salt - may well have been due to Reynolds comments in his book 'The Glass of John Walsh Walsh'.        Discussing the factory's closure in 1951, Eric Reynolds says .......    ""When Walsh closed, some of the tools, employees and their expertise were acquired by other Midlands glass manufacturers such as Tudor Crystal.           However, they did not attempt to deceive the public and their pieces were clearly marked.     For example, there are several pieces of Tudor glass decorated with the Walsh Fruiting Vine
pattern or the Clyne Farquharson Leaf pattern""                   
For the limited quantity of patterns made by both factories, and unmarked, now impossible to say who made what I'd imagine.

Collecting Walsh production, seriously, must be a daunting task  -  prodigious quantities and patterns - so perhaps no one does - thank goodness we do at least have Eric Reynolds book :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »
I keep having a look at these Paul and I must say I think they have ,for want of a better description,have something about them,I'm working on a house at the moment where one end is being transformed and in the process pieces of signed Walsh have had to be boxed and stored,sadly I think it would be un professional and probably illegal to photo them. :-\

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »
couldn't agree more ...........    very inappropriate to interfere with someone's private possessions, without their permission........    but the situation you describe is intriguing, and very unusual to hear of Walsh glass in this sense - sounds like you're in the presence of a collector of some taste ;D
Possibly no harm in at least asking discretely if they might allow some form of photography - for the GMB - but understand if you think this not on.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 06:21:34 PM »
Inherited I would think,I'll try to steer the conversation in a glassy direction without worrying them at a convenient moment.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »
great - hope you have some luck.........       I'd worry more about the inconvenient moments ;D ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
Good panoramic view Keith. I have two salts signed somewhere. It's a scarce stamp on whatever
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand