No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling 11500 10" Bird & Panel Vase  (Read 985 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Jobling 11500 10" Bird & Panel Vase
« on: July 23, 2015, 06:46:56 AM »
Just sharing this lovely example of Jobling's 10 inch Bird and Panel Vase: catalogue number 11500.

I bought this recently for very little money. Sadly it appears to have an annealing crack on the interior towards the base where the glass thickens, but despite this it will still be staying in my collection as it's one of the best looking examples I've seen and the only one of this large size I've handled that hasn't been frosted.

The mould detail is very well-defined and the vase is clearly marked with the registration number 794907 to the upper surface of the foot.

I forgot to bring my tape measure when I took the pics, but from what I remember it's actually a little shorter than 10 inches (closer to 9 1/2, but had the rim not been flared it would probably be the full 10 inches). I've shown it next to a nominally 8 inch 11400 Bird & Panel Vase for comparison.

Steven

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling 11500 10" Bird & Panel Vase
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:51:25 AM »
very attractive - looks very good in blue - great piece Steven.                  Especially like the 'very little money' aspect ;)

Hadn't previously been aware of the substantial original price difference between this vase and the Butterfly and Panel Vase  -  might that have been due to something like low success rate when pressing perhaps?             The price for Jade appears way out ahead of most others.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:48:16 AM »
Oh that's lovely Steven, what a great find! It's not usual to find the RD no on the top of the foot is it? The amber one is gorgeous too!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:09:18 AM »
Thank you both. I like the bright finish more than the frosted in this pattern, especially in the large size.

Paul, I hadn't noticed the price difference between this and the butterfly and panel vase until you mentioned it. It may well have been down to success rate as the Butterfly and Panel vase has quite a complex mould where the foot follows the shape of the butterflies' wings. It also looks a little larger than the bird vase and from my examples it seems to have often had more cold work done. All five Butterfly and Panel vases I've owned have ground and polished rims plus some areas of wheel polishing on the vertical panels (presumably to polish out moulding imperfections/ bits of stray frosting, etc.) whereas Bird and Panel vases just tend to be fire polished, and, if frosted, are frosted all over with no areas masked off or selectively polished.  That said, I have just spotted a Butterfly and Panel on ebay which just seems t have a heat finished rim and no signs of frosting or wheel polishing...

Jade and Opalique were more expensive to produce (I recall Bernard saying that Jade was Jobling's most expensive to make) and seem to have commanded a premium on all patterns except the large Lambton table/ lighting bowls.

Anne, yes the Reg. No. is in an odd place. Both the 10 inch and 8 inch vases have the mark in the same place on the upper surface. However, the early examples of the 10 inch are marked "Regn. Applied For" in the more conventional location across the underside of the base.

Steven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand