No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whose millefiori?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: whose millefiori?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 01:02:13 AM »
Thank you Kevin - 6x more close-ups.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 01:03:00 AM »
And one more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
For the five above ...

a) (1 E cane) I have never seen that cane before. Very unusual with the striped effect for the outer part, rather than a regular colour coating. I would say it is not pre-56. Maybe Strathearn??

b) (7 E cane) Most likely Vasart Ltd (i.e. 1956 to 1964). The outer canes are very similar in structure to ones seen in various Vasart Ltd inkwells.

c) (5 A) My guess is Strathearn, but I don't recognise it. I don't think Salvador / Ysart Brothers used "bullseye" elements like that one in the centre.

d) (6 A) Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers.

e) (4 B & 3 E) I think Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers is possible .. but I don't recall seeing another example.
KevinH

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 02:05:29 AM »
As usual - great help Kevin - so I'm loading some more pictures...

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 02:07:06 AM »
pic

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 04:18:19 PM »
For that latest batch of five, most which have interesting features ...

1. (5 E cane) = Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers
Note the distinctive "three-pointed geometric ends" to an eight-point star pattern, near the top of the close up image. That mould shape may been used for more canes in Strathearn weights than early Ysart ones. In fact, I used to think it was a clear indicator for Strathearn weights. But close inspection of various Salvador / Ysart Brothers weights eventually showed up uses of that mould.

2. (2 C cane) = Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers.
Note that the enlarged image clearly shows blue as a coating to the seven outer row canes. But the blue is not obvious in the group photo. The example of that cane within the published group of "Salvador Canes" (e.g. as shown in the book Scottish Paperweights) seems to have no blue ... but with a high mag loupe, hints of blue can be seen. I have also noted the blue within one of those of canes in a weight (unfortunately I do not have an example in my collection).

3. (6 C cane) This a new cane to me and I do not know who made it, or where.
The upper wing canes seem to be "Salvador / YB" and the lower wing canes could also be early (a shaped cog cane). The antennae are clearly formed from a flattened cane with a white core and orange sleeve. That sort of work for the antennae is different from the other "Ysart butterfly canes" I have seen.

Note also that the outer white / blue is the same as in the cane at 3 C in the group photo. That "sloping cog" (or shall we call it a "chainsaw tooth"?) is distinctive and is something that appears quite often in some PY weights. However I doubt that either of the 3 C or 6 C canes were made by PY!

4. (1 C cane) = Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers
This cane is less well known than the usual one seen in several Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers weights (and also in many PY weights) and shown as the 4 D cane in the group photo and also in the Scottish Paperweights, and other books).

5. (5 D cane) = Very probably Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers (and if so, it is a NEW ONE for me !!)
The overall look and the consistency with the other Ysart butterfly canes is obvious. Also the wing canes are the same as the lower wing canes in the 1 C example of the group photo. However, the green body with black head and black antennae, that do not seem to be flattened cog canes, are ringing faint bells with me for which I cannot pinpoint the source!
KevinH

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 01:19:11 AM »
Thanks Kevin - and since we've come this far, might as well finish off the lot.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:53 AM »
and again - and we'll post the last ones tomorrow

[Mod: last image (untitled-8b) of this set was the same cane as #4 (untitled-4b) in the previous reply. Duplicate removed.]

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
That batch of seven above are all Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers.

For #1 and #3, I don't recall an exact match but there are known canes which look very similar.

Also, for the #1 cane, note the central three-cane group. That motif is well known in canes from the Ysart Brothers (or earlier) years.

Edited to add, for clarification ...
The three-cane central motif, although certainly much used in the Ysart Brothers period (and earlier?), was also used in Vasart Ltd weights. So that  feature cannot be used alone to attribute an item to Salvador Ysart / Ysart Brothers.
KevinH

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »
Thanks Kevin. If you'll PM your address I'd be pleased to send a couple of the duplicates.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand