No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Butter Rd 26 July 1880  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Sowerby Butter Rd 26 July 1880
« on: August 26, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »
Found a lovely Sowerby butter dish today with lovely clear marks the lozenge dates it to 26th July 1880 just wondered if you wanted to add it to your Rd Catalogue

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Sowerby Butter Rd 26 July 1880
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 04:57:10 PM »
Corrr,that's a real beauty :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:49:17 PM »
The factory appear to have Registered six items on that particular day  -  Rd. Nos. 352840 - 45  -  I'll have a look in the archives and see which one this is.

Edited to add........     appears to be Rd. 352842 as per attached picture.

great find Angela - I think we should join you ;)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »
Thank you, Angela,  for showing this butter dish, and Paul, for providing the design representation.

Simon Cottle describes RD 352842 of 26 July 1880 as a ‘butter dish’ but ascribes no Sowerby pattern number to it. Jenny Thompson describes the design as a ‘new butter’ (which is the description on the design representation).

The Thistlewood Sowerby CD-ROM catalogues show a matching design on the left of the bottom row of page 7 of Sowerby Pattern Book XI (1885), but unfortunately the actual pattern number is cropped and thus not shown. From the number sequence of the previous butter dishes shown on the same page and subsequent page of the pattern book the pattern number is most probably either in the ‘1490s’ or somewhere in the ‘1500s’ (which is also in accord with the known Sowerby pattern numbers of similar registration date).

I will add the butter dish photos to the GMB RD Database and GMB Sowerby Patterns database shortly.

Fred.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:01:57 PM »
So pleased to have helped.... thank you for all the info that's brilliant, I have added some brighter pictures... I found it in our local Flea Market today along with this sugar bowl which I think is Davidson? the chap selling it says he was selling off his mums stuff... the butter dish is perfect.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:06:06 PM »
not really into Davidson, but am sure we've had this 'bowl with two dogs for handles' thingy, before - or something very similar, and seem to recall those chains on something.           Presumably it doesn't carry a Rd. No.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 09:53:58 PM »
No  mark but found it on the Davidson research page on Glass Queries page as pattern 26 also found earlier discussion on here where Pamela pointed out that Inwald also made this item

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand