No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small shallow bowl. ID = IoWSG  (Read 1234 times)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Small shallow bowl. ID = IoWSG
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:10:45 AM »
This small shallow bowl is 15cm diameter by a little over 3cm deep. It looks to me like IoWSG, perhaps in the colourway Clover of the design Meadow Garden, as best I can judge from the IoWSG collectors website.

The colour is all applied to the lower surface. The pontil area is ground flat with a fairly fine grind, although not polished. It is hard to get the colour balance right in photos, hence the poly foam backdrop for the first two photos. However there is a definite tinge of green to the bowl, especially at the lip.

It 'feels' like IoWSG to me, including the weight, the surface decoration and the base finish, but I don't have enough experience to be confident. Also I've never seen a shallow bowl like this one from them. Am I correct in my attribution?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Small shallow bowl - IoWSG?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:15:06 AM »
I must control the habit of replying to myself...

On second thoughts, and after more research, I now think this item is IoWSG, but in the design Kyoto and colourway Pine. The source of my insight is Mark Hill's little book, including the 'catalogues and shape' section at the back. There is a larger* such dish on p.101, although the image there looks more opaque than my specimen. It is said there that some items were given a slight iridescent finish, which can be seen on mine.

Trevor

* The item illustrated on p.101 is said be 24.5cm or 6.75in in diameter - which does not compute. Assuming the cm figure is correct, the data in the 'catalogues and shape' section suggests the item illustrated is 'New Kyoto'. That is also consistent with it having denser colouring than my, earlier, specimen (according to other information on that page).
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
I'm not sure any New Kyoto was produced in the Pine colourway. It's more likely just not a standard size. A roughly ground base would be mose consistent with the original Pine Kyoto too. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
Yes, definitely Kyoto Pine: http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/kyoto#pine

Your bowl was a standard size in the range. They are fairly common since the original Kyoto was popular. New Kyoto (http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/newkyoto) was much less popular and are harder to find.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Small shallow bowl. ID = IoWSG
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »
Thanks Sue and Anton. This one cost $1 at a charity shop earlier this week, so I'm regarding it as a bargain.

I'm inclined to dig out the other couple of IoWSG pieces still residing in a box somewhere after our house move, to identify them. I'll do a bit more homework before bleating for help on them.

Trevor

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Small shallow bowl. ID = IoWSG
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
You don't need to do any homework, just ask. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand