No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight glass help please.  (Read 918 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Isle of Wight glass help please.
« on: September 15, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
Are both of these meadow garden?, the one on the right has an iridescent  finish and a label.

The one on the left is 4 inches in height and 5 inches in diameter, the taller on the right is 5 1/2 inches in height 4 inches in diameter.

What age roughly would they be i'm thinking early 80's?.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight glass help please.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
Not Meadow Garden. I don't believe these are from any official range at all. I think these are early experimental things. The triangular black label puts the date between '78 and '90, but these are not of any formal shape or colour pattern that went into production.

At the studio, there was a shelf in the shop called "the makers' shelf", through which the glassmakers and apprentices could make and sell things they'd designed and made themselves. These might have been from that, or perhaps were trials made by the Michael, Tim or Jonathon themselves.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 06:17:59 PM »
Thanks Sue my little little collection of iow is slowly growing, i have real trouble parting with it.

Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:13:15 AM »
The one on the left does have a colour scheme similar to Pine Kyoto, but is not a Kyoto shape, does not have the applied green rim and does have a large, thick, loopy "painterly" (quite Sam Herman-y!) pink splodgy bit - not a feature of Kyoto.
Kyoto came into production in '82, what you have might be an experimental/developmental Kyoto.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
On the smaller one the melted glass does look like paint.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand