No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large handpainted straight low sided v.large glass bowl signed Cleris  (Read 3727 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large handpainted straight low sided v.large glass bowl signed Cleris
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »
Ok, at long last a breakthrough :)

I still don't know where the bowl is from but I do know what the pattern is

The pattern of the circles with off centre 'eye' circles in them is known as a Çintamani - the source of the word and emblem appears to be difficult to pin down.  I have seen it described as from Hinduism and Buddhism and as 'the wish fulfilling jewel' (the round emblem being a depiction of the jewel).

Anyway, that is what the design is.
Here is a description of a tile from Sotheby's that first led me to realise what was on my bowl
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/arts-islamic-world-l14220/lot.165.html

And here is a lovely page describing various Ottoman garments that contain the Çintamani design:
http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/cintamani.html

One of the tiles near the bottom of that page has the Çintamani and the 'clouds' design on my bowl incorporated into what the site calls 'Chinese green ribbons'

And here is a sale that includes four tiles with the pattern on, one of which appears to have a small version of the 'clouds' design on my bowl. It replicates the small version of clouds that are painted at intervals around the upright sides of my bowl. 

I had thought the large roundel of 'cloud' in the middle of my bowl might be a chrysanthemum perhaps so that would fit in with the description of the Chinese green ribbons that contain the cloud design similar to that found in my bowl.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/223730952/turkish-ottoman-motifs-cintamani

So, possibly the bowl is Turkish, possibly Eastern in some way, either the decorator or the glass itself.  The glass bowl itself is heavy enough and thick enough to have been produced by Pasabahce at some point perhaps (depends on age of the bowl as I'm not sure what year Pasabahce started - think it was the thirties from memory) but I have also seen this same shape produced by Legras.  I don't know though how heavy or thick their particular bowl might have been.

I will keep looking and post back if I find any more.  Delighted to have found the motif though.

The irony is, when I was fifteen I designed some wallpaper for a task at school - it was in plums and reds and whites and contained one of these 'jewels' one way up alternating with the next the opposite way up(i.e with the 'eye' set the other way up in the circle) all the way across the paper and alternated as it went down the paper creating a geometric pattern.  How weird as I'm sure by that age I'd never set sight on anything like this.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand