No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal diamond and petal cut whisky tumbler bonnet shaped, Walsh Walsh pattern?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Does anyone recognise this pattern please?

I think it might be Walsh Walsh but I can't find the pattern this way up i.e. rows of diamonds with the petal cut flutes underneath,in the book. 
I can find decanters with the rows of diamonds and the petal flute cut neck on top
 and can find the bowl on the same page that only has three rows of diamonds cut. 
But can't find a piece with the pattern the same way up as these tumblers.

Stuart did a similar whisky tumbler but it's not the right shape. 
Webb Corbett  again did a similar shape but I think the foot near the base is more bulbous and the bowl isn't quite the same although they measure the same (3 3/4"high by 3 1/8" across the rim.
http://welshdragon-antiques.co.uk/webb-corbett/191-six-beautiful-webb-corbett-crystal-prince-regent-large-tumbler-whisky-glasses.html

Oh I've looked up Tudor Crystal as well and nothing there either.

If they were Walsh then many were not marked (I read somewhere that the early pieces weren't - but a) I'm not sure how current that info is now and b) I've no idea whether this shape is an 'early'' Walsh shape or not).  I have some fruiting vine marked and some unmarked.

Walsh did this shape but the ones I own are a different pattern in fruiting vine.
The bowl shape and size match but they have different cutting around the bottom of the glass so the 'stem' bit near the foot looks narrower and then flares out to a narrower diameter base perhaps because of the different cut pattern and so a different design to the shape.  They also have a polished pontil mark and these with the diamond pattern have a 12 point star cut into the base.
These diamond cut pattern ones are the same height bar a millimetre and the same diameter at the rim though and the same bowl shape despite a different pattern on the bowl.

Anyone recognise them as being from another maker?  I'm not very good at glasses and there are millions of makes out there.
I thought they might be Walsh but a real live piece is not shown in the book (the book is not exhaustive though).  Not an urgent request because they are for daily use (juice/water not whisky) in our house but I would like to get some more.

Thanks for any help :)
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Maastricht is a possibility.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :o Therese 1936!  Tumbler 3185 Cut
http://www.kristalunie.nl/

Well I think it is?

Thank you so much!  What hope of matching these then?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Use them, they're great. I prefer uncut but these are perfect for a LAAAAAAARGE whisky, with lots of ice. And you can stack them.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
We are using them - everyday use  ;D
I may have found a set of three others - Tudor pattern Maastricht I think, but with the diamond cut bowl not plain bowl , so only the stem differs in that it is ringed rather than facet cut.I'd seen them before but decided against but have now had another look at them.

I don't drink whisky but they are perfect for a slug of white wine and soda :)

Thanks so much Ivo - I really didn't think I'd find these.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
No go on the Tudor so I've bought different ones - I'm not sure if they are Maastricht? They are Kristalunie Maastrict's Saturn shaped but then they have engraved flowers on them - nicer engraving than that on Petunia here though
http://www.kristalunie.nl/images/36-1%20service%20pattern%20AM1936b.jpg

Edited:
Actually they are the same as the plain 3185 but have engraving on them - so the same shape I believe :)
http://www.kristalunie.nl/images/38-1%20service%20tumbler%20set%203185%20cut.jpg
I'm happy as I managed to get a whole set.  That should last a year or so  ::)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand