No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Thomas Webb Cameo Glass... help a noob please :)  (Read 1435 times)

Offline 777bandman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US
Is This Thomas Webb Cameo Glass... help a noob please :)
« on: October 21, 2015, 06:04:24 AM »
Hi - new to the community and hoping for some help. I recently came across a beautiful miniature glass vase - about 4 inches tall.  On the side of the vase reads a sticker that says, "Oceanside Gallery OX01006".  Also, on the bottom reads a handwritten sticker that says, "519-A Webb Cameo $295-F".  Based on my research I believe this might be a Thomas Webb Cameo Glass piece, but I was hoping an expert might be able to provide their feedback and any other information.  I have attached a few pictures to give a better visual at my photo bucket link: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JDPickle777/library/art

Thanks so much and I appreciate your time in advance.
Jacob

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Is This Thomas Webb Cameo Glass... help a noob please :)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 06:15:06 AM »
Welcome to the board. It would be really helpful if you would resize your pictures (I crop then resize high-res pictures so that the longest dimension is 700 pixels) and then attach them to the board. You can attach four pictures per answer at 120kb each and the board makes the thumbnails. Not everyone will click links to look at pictures and that way we have a record for future reference, as this board aims to act act a reference source.

What you have may be Webb but it is not cameo (i.e., cut away layers to form a pattern), just gilding over a two layer base

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:20:13 AM »
The vase is not cameo, cameo is a process of cutting through different coloured layers of glass to produce a pattern. This is a nice bold example: http://gaukartifact.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/56751.jpg

John

Offline glass man

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • usa
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »
I do not consider a 4 inch vase to be miniature.  In "MYOP" Your vase does not match the work of the Thomas. WEBB Company at all. Not cameo glass, painted decoration and also not typical of the style. Remove the label on the bottom and using light look for an albeit light white mark. Thos over
                                                                                                                                                                                      WEBB on the middle of the bottom.
 If it is their it will be hard to see being almost the same color. Bob

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:27:30 AM »
Not all Webb is marked. The gilding is possible for Webb. Can you see what colour underlies the raised bits of the gilding please. Is it dark or yellow/orange?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand