No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Powell ? sky blue prunted vase? help please.  (Read 1525 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Whitefriars Powell ? sky blue prunted vase? help please.
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »
It's beautifully made and when you look at the Powell in Jacksons book there are so many similarities to other bits in there especially the upper rim, i'm guessing there are not many around so perhaps it's never been photographed before especially close up.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline stevejl

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
Chris,

Posting this in WF.com and here - Happy for these topics to be linked - the more the merrier   :)

The puntee in my piece IS cracked, but I suspect this is because it comprises different colours (amethyst & flint) and is therefore built differently rather than because yours is not Powell. In another single-colour piece I have from the Woodchester range with the same flaring foot, the base of the bowl where it joins the foot is smooth, as is yours. It's always difficult to imagine the sequence by which the chair would assemble these pieces, but there is a difference between a single-colour or multi-colour piece, and I believe this accounts for the puntee.

The bubbles in the glass - I agree this is not usual in Powell glass, but believe it is outweighed by the design similarities.
I note Wolfie's reference to pattern 1344 - the shape is identical, but larger at 6.5" in height, and 9" in diameter. I don't see this as an obstacle, given the same size between your piece and mine.

In summary - I stick with my original vote for this as Powell, and a VERY nice piece            :)

.......and thank you John (yes, we did do rather well in the rugby world cup    ;D )

Cheers,                  Steve L        :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
 Alsation Blue . Soda Lime glass coloured Blue with iron , Powells own description , maybe the Iron causes variation in the glass quality  What say the Boffins ?

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
Thanks Steve, thought it best to ask before linking topics, the problem is not really knowing how glass of an age  is made is a real headache, some Victorian glass has no rough or polished pontil or shear mark and on the other end some later glass still has the t shaped shear mark, rough and polished pontil.
Chris Parry

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
That T shaped scratch is a gadget mark.
Back to the original piece, I am following up some leads and they are pointing towards this being repro. I am waiting on confirmation and I hope to give you the name of the maker soon. And it won't be Powell :)
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »
We have had this argument before, the gadget mark is the horse shoe shape on top of the foot made by the gadget and the shear mark on the base is the shape made when the glass is cut.

Here are some picks of gadget marks.
Chris Parry

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 08:09:28 PM »
I agree with Chris. That's a shear mark. You quite often see it on handpressed glass too, as the gobs of glass were manually cut

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand