No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val St. Lambert paper label  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Val St. Lambert paper label
« on: November 13, 2015, 10:54:54 PM »
Might anyone know when VSL used this small paper label? I found it on a stemware series that was introduced sometime in the first quarter of the C20, but probably had an extended production run.

As far as I can make out, VSL intermittently used the same logo on their marketing from at least the beginning of the 1900s until at least the 1960s.

The glasses themselves are perfect, so yield no clue to when they were produced.

Many thanks.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Val St. Lambert paper label
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:02:51 AM »
This model is called Mery Cotés Plates and is catalogued for 1947. I'll add an image of the catalogue once daylight allows  me to take a picture.

Personally I don't value labels at VSL too much, as their use has never been officially set in dates. These smaller, paper labels were used on stemware, and it is nice to find an item that still has its original label, but every now and then you'll come across a set of unused labels for sale on the internet, especially the larger, square silver and gold foil labels. Therefor I find it more reliable and accurate to check catalogues.

The star shaped logo was used in the 30ies as an acid mark and has always been part of the square labels, where it sits right in the middle. Today the labels are still square but a lot smaller and printed black on a gold background and they still use the same logo.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:03:21 AM »
Here's an image of the catalogue, on the opposite page the name and date are given for 1947.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:08:56 AM »
Thanks for the additional information - I already knew the series name, but the catalogue page was very useful for establishing sizes.

Although I did think that Mery was introduced in the 1920s?

I agree with you about labels, in that they're always going to be a little uncertain because they can be swapped about (and it seems not uncommon for factories to find old forgotten batches of them at the back of a storeroom and put them on newer wares).

But I think, on balance of probability, they're usually where they're supposed to be.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
I haven't seen 'Mery Côtes Plates' in any other catalogue, but that doesn't mean anything ...  just 'Mery Taillé M59' in the 1929/1930 catalogue that has a slight difference, the stem is slightly tapered and the body has vertical 'filets'.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
That clears that up - thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand