No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Art Deco bowl, fish and starfish  (Read 1744 times)

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
Blue Art Deco bowl, fish and starfish
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:51:21 AM »
This is my first post, so please be gentle!

I recently bought a job lot of glass and china from a local antiques auction. Most of it I have identified, but this one is a stumper. Not helped by searching on glass bowl fish and getting a million goldfish bowls ;)

The size is roughly 22cm diameter (26cm including handles). Depth 9cm. Please can someone help to identify it?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Blue Art Deco bowl, fish and starfish
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:11:45 AM »
Hi Adrian, and welcome to the board. :)

Your bowl is something of a mystery to us, but we do know they are German, we have discussed it in a previous topic here after I picked up a pair of smaller ones:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9211.0.html but we could not find an answer. It's still on the "to be found one day list", so I hope you aren't in a rush for an ID. ;)

Does yours have the Made in Germany lettering on one of the handles like my smaller version in the linked topic?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
Re: Blue Art Deco bowl, fish and starfish
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 03:17:13 AM »
Hi Anne,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Glad I'm not the only one stumped by this one. No, mine doesn't have any identifying marks, nothing is written on either of the tabs, or anywhere else that I can find.

I wasn't sure mine was German in origin until you gave me that link. I wouldn't be too surprised to find it was Walther; but I've looked through most of the Walther/VEB Sachsenglas catalogues I've found online, and I haven't found it yet...

Summary: So far it appears we know of two sizes, that they come in a fish version and a mermaid version, and that there are two or possibly three colours. I say possibly three colours as there was a listing on ebay.ie, and the bowls look pinkish; but they've described them as green - I'm not sure whether that's a white balance issue or their real colour though. Mine is definitely blue.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VINTAGE-GERMAN-WALTHER-SOHNE-FROSTED-GREEN-GLASS-MERMAIDS-BOWL-5-DISHES-/310864914353

Hopefully someone will eventually put us out of our misery with an identification ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand