No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scottish , spoked , millefiori with polished pontil . Age , maker ? Ta !  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
This paperweight has a polished pontil mark , 2 3/4 inches in diameter and 2 inches tall. Black ground quite a bit of wear to base. Some interesting-looking canes . Would much appreciate an idea of age & maker. Thanks for having a look, ta Mike.
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Scottish , spoked , millefiori with polished pontil . Age , maker ? Ta !
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
Some more photos.......

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
It is a spoked weight made by Strathearn Glass in Crieff, Scotland. They opened in 1963 and closed in 1980 and were owned by Teachers whisky but made weights by the lorry load for the tourist trade so there are loads and loads around. Go into Ebay and in the search box at the top of the page type in paperweight strathearn and see how many appear.

They made some better quality weights but these do not seem to come up for sale often and these can fetch good money.

A guy called Richard More has set up a fantastic website showing virtually all the various weights and it is well worth a look so go into the Smugmug website and search for Strathearn

Hope al this helps
Dave

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 04:04:26 PM »
Thanks very much Dave,

Would you have an idea of age between 1963 & 1980 ? I will have a look at the website you mentioned.

Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 04:20:38 PM »
Hi Mike
It sometimes hard to tell the age of these weights as they made the same designs over almost the whole time they were in operation but I would guess this is 1970's rather than 60's
Dave

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
But ... it could very easily be Vasart Ltd (1956 - 1964)!

The unevenly ground out base would fit for being pre-Strathearn. The twist canes are of the "chunky" style seen in lots of Strathearn weights, but the blue tinge to those twists could suggest an earlier period.

(Does Anyone have a signed or labelled Strathearn weight that has the blue-tinged twist canes?)

Most (I won't be brave enough today to say "all") of the millefiori canes are early Ysart (i.e. from the 1946 - 1954 period or maybe even pre-war.) However, early Ysart canes were used in all of the Vasart / Strathearn periods right up to 1980.
KevinH

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 06:05:53 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I did find this cane which looks very similar.........

https://strathearn.smugmug.com/StrathearnVasart-Ysart-canes/1946-to-1955-Ysart-Vasart/i-3vG5ndJ

Cheers, Mike

p.s. The twist canes have a definite blue tinge not white !
Mike

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »

Hi.  I would vote for Vasart rather than Strathearn, especially with the ground base... but it is an inexact science!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:11:47 PM »
Thanks Alan,

I've been reading as much on-line info. as I can and came across this wonderful website. There is a paperweight here with blue tint twist canes very similar to this example to the bottom right (same size also , this one being more like 2 1/8 inches tall having remeasured it  ! ) . It mentions a blue florescence under UV but on mine it only applies to any blue that is present  in some of the canes  ;)  I liked reading about Michael Parkington too !

http://www.ysartglass.com/Vascat/VasPV001.htm

Ta, Mike

Mike

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »

Hi Mike.  It is a useful site - I think several of us here on GMB (especially KevH)  have contributed images to it in the past.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand