No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness "New Rose" - 24/77 No year, Safety Pins in the ground?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Caithness "New Rose" - 24/77 No year, Safety Pins in the ground?
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:00:58 AM »
Wondering if anyone can provide a year or any background behind this Caithness Limited Edition "New Rose" Paperweight.  It is indicated as #24 out of 77.  It is 3 1/2" diameter by 3 1/4" high.

I couldn't find it in the Charlton Guide and also could not find it in Andrew Nowson's Encyclopedia of Caithness Glass.  The ground has imprinted safety pins on it, making me think that maybe a new child inspired the design.

Any information will be appreciated.

Larger Picture

Bottom View

Side View Picture

Safety pin motif in ground

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
I found the paperweight listed on Frank Andrew's Scotland's Glass site. 

Frank's site has the following info.  The Charlton Guide was published in 2004, so it wouldn't have it.  Andrew Nowson's encyclopedia mentions the Punk Rock Tribute Series on page 445 and shows a picture of the 2007 catalog on page 604 with an image of this weight.

Punk Rock 30th Anniversary Collection - In 1977 the Punk Rock explosion reached its boisterous, pogo-ing crescendo.
It's loud and prickly.
Design: Gordon Hendry
Edition: 77
Size:
Original price £ 125
2007 Paperweights and Gifts catalogue page 8

I was an academic teaching mathematics back in 1977 and have no recollection of the safety pin connection, but a quick read on Wikipedia "straightened" me out.  I won't try to explain it, but if you need to brush up on punk rock and the role of the safety pin, feel free to study the Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock .   

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Caithness "New Rose" - 24/77 No year, Safety Pins in the ground?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »
It's a nice weight Alan and something a little different
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Caithness "New Rose" - 24/77 No year, Safety Pins in the ground?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
I left out the reason for the  name, from Wikipedia:  In October [1976], the Damned became the first UK punk rock band to release a single, the romance-themed "New Rose". I wonder if Gordon Hendry was having some fun with us when this paperweight was designed? 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand