No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Sowerby Identification  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Riachli

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • EAPG goblets
    • Canada
Help with Sowerby Identification
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:34:07 AM »
Hi - I would appreciate help in identifying the Sowerby piece shown in the site above, namely WHAT IS IT?! and what Sowerby pattern is it?  It is 4 little legs, 2 handles, 4 frosted or stippled panels, and a lovely quatrefoil (?) base.  It is about 3.5 inches high and about 4.5 inches wide, excluding the handles.  The inside of the container part is a bit worn, and the Sowerby stamp dates it to the late 1880s.  Any help appreciated!
Thanks,

Liz

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Help with Sowerby Identification
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »
Welcome to the GMB, Liz.

This is an uncommon Sowerby tableware pattern, but is shown on page 50 of the Sowerby pattern book XI of 1885 as a sugar bowl, and a covered/lidded example is shown on page 59.

The pattern is shown as being from a registered design, so when you say it has the Sowerby ‘stamp’, does it have an embossed Sowerby peacock head trademark or a diamond-shaped registry date mark (or both)?

I don’t have a reference photo for this pattern so I don’t know the precise registration date for the design, but I would expect it to be some time in 1879 or very early in 1880.

If there is a  diamond-shaped registry date mark could you let me have more details of the letters and numbers in the internal angles of the diamond , please? - preferably beginning with the letter or number at the 12 o’clock position [under the III in a ring] and working clockwise around the Rd mark in the centre of the diamond?

From those details I can get the full date of registration (including the Parcel number), and the registered design number(s) in the parcel.

Fred.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:44:21 AM »
I think this was queried via my web site www.glassyeye.com? If so, then it does have both the Sowerby peacock mark, but it was hard to determine the lozenge identification marks from the photo. If they are difficult to photo, then a description would help.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Riachli

• Members
    • EAPG goblets
    • Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »
Here is a picture of the stamp. (1/3)

Offline Riachli

• Members
    • EAPG goblets
    • Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
Here is a picture of the stamp. (2/3)

Offline Riachli

• Members
    • EAPG goblets
    • Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
Here is a picture of the stamp. (3/3)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:59:54 PM »
Thank you for the photos of the marks, Liz.

Unfortunately, they are too small for me to read the precise details of the date signifier characters on the registry date lozenge.

Fred.

Offline Riachli

• Members
    • EAPG goblets
    • Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »
Hi, Fred, I believe the marks say 14, D, and E going clockwise...

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 08:31:41 PM »
Thank you, Liz.

The ‘missing’ character would appear to be ‘9’, making the lozenge read 14-D-E-9, which translates to a date of 14 May 1878 – Parcel 9, corresponding to a bundle of 12 designs registered by Sowerby on that date, registered design numbers 321368 to 321379 inclusive.

This is a slightly earlier RD number and registration date than would have been expected purely by following Sowerby’s pattern number sequence.

The pattern 1397 sugar that you have appears to be from RD 321369 (described in Jenny Thomson’s "Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908" book  and Simon Cottle's "Sowerby of Gateshead" book as a ‘sugar box’ (the design registration being for the base only, not including the cover on the covered version).

Having now checked back through my reference photos I have found a somewhat blurry one of the lidded/covered version for comparison (see below).

Fred.

Offline Riachli

• Members
    • EAPG goblets
    • Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »
Wow, Fred, thank you for all that information!  I appreciate your time and efforts to help!  I didn't think it was a sugar bowl because there was no indentation for a spoon....it is certainly very pretty with the lid, too.  I guess it was common for Sowerby to number their patterns rather than name them.  Thanks again for your help - all the best in the new year!  Liz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand