No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Attributed to Greener and named "Dorset"?  (Read 914 times)

Offline tlfoozer

• Members
Attributed to Greener and named "Dorset"?
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:38:39 PM »
I've seen this pattern identified as pattern name "Dorset" and it has been suggested that it was manufactured by Greener.

Does anyone know how it got the name "Dorset"?
Most of all, what is the registration number for this piece?

This butter is 5" tall.
The lid is 5.5" in diameter.
The base is 7" in diameter.

When I first saw this butter dish, I thought "Davidson" but since there is no RD number on either the lid or the base the search began.  Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Attributed to Greener and named "Dorset"?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »
I think you're right in that it's not Davidson but I don't know whether it's Greener or even called Dorset. I believe many of the names were invented by US writer William Heacock for the American market, as most English glass doesn't have a manufacturer's name

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »
Wasn't it Burtles and Tate who made a yellow opalescent glass swan I think.  Could it be by them?
They also made a yellow glass elephant with heavy opalescence
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/burtles-tate-designs-by-date/burtles-tate-1886-1889
m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »
A pretty piece.

Certainly doesn’t match any Davidson pattern (registered or otherwise) that I am aware of, and neither does it seem to match any of the Burtles, Tate & Co. designs.

The Greener & Co. pattern from their registered design number 304505 (registered 3 September 1897) seems not to be too dissimilar (though the pattern in the ‘loops’ is of hobnails, whereas the pattern within the loops of the covered butter dish shown seems to be of rosettes).  Some examples of Greener & Co.’s RD 304505 are unmarked. The design is known in clear, opalescent blue and opalescent yellow glass).  The Greener & Co. yellow opalescent glass does vary in tone (more often than not a slightly pale greenish-yellow) and the degree of opalescence is also quite variable.

I attach photos of some examples for comparison, though I don’t have a photo of a covered butter dish in the pattern to show.

Greener & Co. designs sometimes had pattern numbers, but I don’t know of any given actual names by the manufacturer.

Plagiarism of designs (pattern, shape and colour) was rife at the time. Could it be an American piece, perhaps?

Fred.

Offline tlfoozer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:34:51 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses!  I have 3 suspect registration numbers that "might" be this butter dish.  I'll try to find examples of these and either one of them is it or at least I'll know what this dish is not!  Here are the 3 RD's that might be it;
If anyone has a sketch or photo of any of these, please let me know.  Thanks again for everyone's help!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:12:19 PM »
See attached photos for Greener RD 196641 (registered on 10 August 1892), but no match again, unfortunately.

I’m afraid that I don’t have any photos of Greener’s RD 258156 (registered on 15 July 1895), but Jenny Thompson ‘s ‘ The Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908’ describes it on page 15 as “Imit. cut with star pattern forming lines and diamonds”.

If anyone does have photos of RD 258156, then I too would be very interested to see them as I know of no other extant examples.

Fred.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 06:58:28 AM »
You also have to remember that all these English companies registered only a small proportion of their designs, though Davidson registered more than most,

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:25:31 AM »
  Brockwitz 1915 FRIDA (two more pages of Frida) certainly looks like a close relative, especially considering the different versions of shapes and handles and different count of rays shown in their catalogue. However, the base of original poster's butter dish does not look familiar and not Brockwitz'ish to me.

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 10:12:05 PM »
Searched my collection for similar items and found these:

1st photo 3426: a small plate of approx Ø 15 cms - unmarked

2nd photo 3414: a bowl on hollow foot and with heart-shaped holes in the upper rim - this one is very, very faintly marked in the slightly dimpled center of the bowl

3rd photo 3419: best I could do

4th photo 3433: mark on blue play dough

I'm pretty certain now that this reads: REIMS

According to Ivo and Hartmann Glasmarken-Lexikon the maker is Verreries Mécaniques Champenoises, Reims/France.
Please also see Pressglas-Korrespondenz 2005-3 

Please note that I do not say tlfoozer's butter dish is in fact REIMS - I only wish to show a very similar pattern.  :)

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand