No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Pressed Glass in Frosted Glass  (Read 1013 times)

Offline sowerbyman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Prssed Glass
    • London
Sowerby Pressed Glass in Frosted Glass
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:53:06 AM »
After collecting Sowerby Pressed Glass for over thirty years I was astonished to find, on E-Bay this morning, two 'Nursery Rhyme' pieces in frosted glass. I have never come across this colour before during the period they were made and it is not mentioned in any of the reference books.

I assume they are later copies from the 1920's period or fakes. Other than than they are a new discovery which is hard to believe. Any one know anything about these? Thanks.

[Mod: Copied eBay images removed - please see Christine's post below]

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Sowerby Pressed Glass in Frosted Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
Welcome to the board They are already been put on here by the seller and nobody disputed their authenticity.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61919.0.html
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61920.0.html

Unfortunately you have used Roy's copyrighted pictures, so I will ask the moderators to remove them from your posting, as only your own pictures or links to other people's pictures are allowed for copyright reasons

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Welcome to the GMB, sowerbyman.

As Christine points out, the copyright for the photos resides with Roy (the owner of the pieces and/or the photographer), BUT you could have posted Roy’s photos on this site provided that you had sought his express permission to do so.

Roy had posted these to show to me (and other GMB members too) as oddities, as neither of us had seen these Sowerby patterns (or, indeed any of the other of the Sowerby ‘nursery rhyme’ pieces) in frosted flint glass.

As to their authenticity, both pieces are marked with the Sowerby peacock head trademark, as would have been expected with pieces in these patterns in other colours, and the pressings appear suitably crisp.

They may indeed be new Sowerby discoveries (not the first to have been shown on the GMB by any means).

I would be extremely interested to see photos of any more frosted Sowerby decorative pieces.

Fred

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
Sowerbyman, welcome.

I had a Sowerby salt (pattern no 1254.5) a few years ago in frosted flint. Probably acid etched as there was a finger print in the 'frosting'. Only other frosted piece I have seen, sorry no photos, pre-internet.

Very complicated moulds to make, so very unlikely Roy's pieces could be copies, rare Sowerby pieces.

As for copies I would appreciate your, and others, comments on a piece of Sowerby I have:
http://e-britain.co.uk/victorian_pressed_glass/gallery_sowerby.htm
Bottom of the page, pink swan trough, click on the 'i' for more information.

Sorry to change the subject.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:15:11 PM »
Welcome to the GMB Sowerbyman

I knew when I bought these pieces they were unusual but not quite sure if many existed. I have been able to handle them and have no doubt that they are genuine and not fakes or later copies.

As to being fakes or later copies I have not seen or heard of any similar pieces . I think a much more logical solution would have been that Sowerby produced very few pieces in frosted and was not happy with the colour and decided to drop the colour with just a few made and even less that survived to today.

As with all Victorian pressed glass there is nearly always a rare colour to be found and 9 out of 10 the value will be dictated by the colour.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand