No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Id Murano Opalescent Ftd Bowl Integral Handles Seguso ?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline snesbit

• Members
Help Id Murano Opalescent Ftd Bowl Integral Handles Seguso ?
« on: February 14, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »
This footed bowl came from a local estate, and based on the provenance I believe it is a 1950's Murano piece.

Thick walled opalescent glass with dark brown loop "handles" integral to piece. 

Swirled sommerso base, clear exterior opal interior. Just shy of 11" wide, 7 1/4" deep and 5 1/2" high.  Heavy / 10 pounds.

Ground / polished foot with fine beveled edge and recessed polished pontil mark.

Seguso?  Any ideas or avenues would be appreciated.

Offline snesbit

• Members
Re: Help Id Murano Opalescent Ftd Bowl Integral Handles Seguso ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
The pics and the grey background make it appear darker than it is.  The actual color is a much lighter, slight opaque opalescent.

Again, thanks for looking and any leads.

Offline Brendan Morant

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Carnival and Murano Glass
    • South Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »
Hi,

Wish you the best finding some information. I have a very similar piece to yours (same opalescent glass and foot, just a slight difference in the shape of the handles)

I also recently picked up a huge piece with a near identical foot but in vaseline. I thought it may have been Cenedese given the colourway but they have recently confirmed it is NOT Cenedese. I've attached a couple of photos to see if you think the foot is similar?

I'll also be looking for information, so if I find anything, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Brendan

Offline snesbit

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
Brendan,

Thanks so much for the additional info and pics of your piece/s. 

The foot detail does look quite similar.  One possibility to cross of the list. 

Again, thanks and please let me know if you every come up with anything more on yours.

Best,  Shawn

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 03:00:20 AM »
Shawn: Looks a bit like Seguso but I am thinking maybe more SvDA than Archimede Seguso. Have no facts to place it, just a look. Maybe one of the others may have more of an idea. I do spend a fair amount of time looking for A.S. pieces and have not seen one like this.

Fine piece of glass, that many would be happy to have in their collection.

Brendan: Is your vase incalmo? looks a bit like it.

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand