No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MDG or Craft Glass Ltd. green bottle , was silver foil used in the decoration ?  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I'm just throwing this in for a possible thought as I know nothing about the sort of chemical reactions with glass.

Just from an artistic point of view and this is only my personal opinion , which could be very wrong ....nevertheless I believe there was a real attempt to produce a glass that copied marble . Perhaps a combination of silver leaf and silver chloride would achieve a very good likeness to the green Irish marble seen above. There is the grid pattern which is seen in so many different marbles  . Could it be that the silver chloride powder could have dulled the silver leaf ? But I do understand that compacted powder could perhaps produce a similar break-up effect .  ;)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I'm not really seeing any white anywhere, and not in any pieces I have. What I do "see" (remembering that the brain constructs what "we see" for us, rather than actually telling us exactly what we do see) is streaks of paler stuff, which could be from the silver being stretched. When silver chloride gets hot, it melts into a liquid, it does not stay as a powder.

Silver reacts with glass at much lower temperatures than molten glass can reach, it was a big problem, and one William Walker and Michael Harris eventually solved while working on Azurene. I have a couple of very early bits from before it was sorted and they show a white appearance. I don't have any pics to hand.

I don't know how they avoided the high temperatures that cause reactions in Murano, or if they have ever made the technique/method public knowledge.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Just as a side note the altar of St.John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta   Malta is made of Lapis Lazuli and other rare marbles ..I haven't seen it myself but could have been an inspiration perhaps ?
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think it's more likely they were just experimenting with effects, but glass has always been used to mimic precious stones.

The very first bit of Earthtones I saw (and the second bit of Mdina I bought) was something I originally assumed to have been carved from a huge lump of agate.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
But does your "silver" shine, because silver foil in glass most certainly does and it wouldn't give yellow if it did react. Those white bits on Mike's bottle don't shine.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I agree ! Agate it is  :D....if I ever have the chance of visiting Malta I shall go on a pilgrimage to St.Johns Co-Cathedral and have a good look at all the different  marbles ...  ;)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
If the combination silver chloride (plus leaf)  dulled the silver leaf then it wouldn't shine ....perhaps  ???
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Silver foil does give rise to both yellow and ochre coloured glass.
I'll take some pics of my really early experimental Azurene to show what it can look like, but that's when the foil has been applied to the surface.
If foil has ended up encased, it could react with both layers of glass and the top layer might dull any shine.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Silver foil on the surface oxidises, i.e., tarnishes, which is why it looks yellow. It doesn't react with the glass

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Silver will oxidise (tarnish) when it's on the surface, after the glass has cooled and is sitting on shelves, but it will react with the glass if it is hot enough.
While the glass is very hot and molten and being worked, I don't think there is a lot of oxygen around in all that heat. I have always thought that any bubbles which appeared were the chlorine.
I've certainly never seen oxidised silver *inside* glass - it would be black, wouldn't it?

I do need to check at what temperature the silver and chloride seperate, but I don't think it's astronomically high. I've searched a bit.
It melts at 455 degrees C. It will dissociate into silver and chlorine slowly but spontaneously at room temperature.
(I can't find any mention of temperature dissociation, just solubility.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand