No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Giant Murano Uranium/Vaseline Footed Bowl with Red Applied Rim - ID Help Please  (Read 944 times)

Offline Brendan Morant

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Carnival and Murano Glass
    • South Australia
Hello All,

New here but have been collecting glass for quite sometime. I acquired this huge bowl a few months ago, taking a punt on it being Murano and Uranium/Vaseline. I was at least correct of the second part.

It measures 36cm long, 27cm across and 17cm high (14" x 11" x 7"), I'm not too sure what it weighs as our scales only go to 5kg (11 pound!)

It certainly bears some similarity to https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/dining-entertaining/glass/italian-antonio-da-ros-cenedese-monumental-sommerso-glass-murano-vase/id-f_3071032/ and given the colour way, I thought it may have been Cenedese but I have just heard back a negative from Ars Cenedese Murano srl http://www.arscenedese.com/Welcome.html but given the ways companies chop and change I'm not 100% I contacted the correct vertria?

I have also had for many years a similar, smaller bowl in Opalescent, very much like the one found in http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62150.msg349477.html. The foot and the way it is attached in near identical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even a direction for a few vettria's to chase up, I don't believe that Uranium/Vaseline was an overly common colour of glass used?

Cheers,
Brendan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Brendan Morant

• Members
    • South Australia
I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. Hedging bets between ID for the piece and more general discussion about Murano glass makers who used both Uranium and opalescent glass and had a penchant for making huge pieces!

Please move if necessary! Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Hi Brendan, welcome to the GMB.

Yes, Glass is the place to start with an ID / Info request if the country of manufacture is in any doubt.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Murano is not my area, but da Ros was quite keen on using this shade of yellow uranium glass in conjunction with red. Generally in animal figurines, though.

welcome! :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Brendan Morant

• Members
    • South Australia
Thanks Kevin for the move.

Chopin-liszt, I do love Murano but out here in Australia, so much glass is misattributed and I don't know which books to start with and they're not a cheap thing to be buying and *hoping* they're decent!

I do have a couple of Cenedese geodes (confirmed, have seen others signed and stickered) with a very similar colourway, which I why I originally leant towards Daros however this is the reply I received from Cenedese:

Dear Mr. Morant,

Thank you for your email and attached photos.

Please be informed that we exclude the possibility that the piece may have made at Cenedese.

Sincerely,
Ars Cenedese Murano srl

Dangit! The search continues!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand