No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purchase from the glass fair today, French? ID = Grenelle  (Read 2770 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Purchase from the glass fair today, French? ID = Grenelle
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:46:36 PM »
Hi all

Been to the glass fair an Knebworth House today (horrible venue, cramped, almost no light, boiling hot, bring back Chilford College!) but the good news was buying this lovely little weight.

Suspect it is Grenelle or St Mande and those similar french factories little is known about but would love to tie it down to a specific one.

thanks for the help!

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
Re: Purchase from the glass fair today, French?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
Ian hello. Beautiful weight, and like you wish I could differentiate between the two factories. I have three that share the same attributes of the central section of your beauty. I have lumped them into my st mandé collection for no other reason than 'hunch'.  Here they are... Second row down

https://sites.google.com/site/antiquepaperweights/saint-mande-paperweights

Sorry about the unfinished site, but 'Google sites' is not a good venue to host a pixel hungry site... I ran out of space less than halfway through uploading my photos

To sum up, I am going with st mandé

Don

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
Have to mention that the rose canes in it don't look like St Mande ones?  Not my area of expertise though!

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
True Ian, that is where this st mandé / Grenelle / some other factory debate kicks in. Let the music play and see what other contributors say, Don

Offline TanToday

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »
This looks like a St Mande doorknob cut down to a smaller paperweight. Here is one from our collection. Size is 1 3/4 inches wide.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
Similar, but still not St Mande rose canes so I am leaning towards not St Mande.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 06:20:47 PM »
Hi Ian,

Could you please add your photos as attachments to a post rather than have them as urls to Photobucket. That way we can keep them here fro reference .. all retained images of weights (or doorknobs) like these will be useful for later analyses.

If you have trouble setting the photos as attachments, I can take copies and sort it out for you.
KevinH

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 07:10:46 PM »
Update.  Paul Dunlop has confirmed it as a Grenelle via email after Alan pointed me in his direction.   http://www.glasspaperweights.com/  Thanks all

Kev, you're welcome to attach them, but I keep all my pictures on my photobucket and don't delete them from there so it acts as a reference for me.  I don't attach them as I have come across forums which, if you attach pictures, claim the copyright, which I won't allow.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:39 PM »
Thanks Ian, I will convert your originals into attached versions.

Regarding copyright, GMB policy is that all photos remain copyright of the photographer. The GMB (or its owner and admin assistants) will never claim copyright of somebody else's photos.

Adding photos as attachments has the advantage that for larger images the Board coding will automatically create clickable thumbnails and, depending on actual size, the full sized image will be shown either within the post or in a pop-up window. This avoids problems for some viewers when larger embedded images force scroll bars or simply will not display properly.
KevinH

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »
Interesting paperweight and discussion.  Can anyone point me to an article or posting that discusses how to distinguish between these two factories?

Thanks,

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand