No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More info wanted please  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Kellykg1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • United States
More info wanted please
« on: February 23, 2016, 02:36:38 AM »
Any idea on the date or any information would really be helpful. I am a new collector.  Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: More info wanted please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »

Hi.  I associate that style of cane with the mid - late 20th century.  You should find Murano paperweights fairly readily in the US, as they account for about 10% of the total there.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Kellykg1

• Members
    • Murano
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I paid about $40 but I found a past sale on eBay for about $250.  Any idea why the huge price swings or did I just get really lucky?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »

Hi.  I suppose the first question is whether they were similar sized items: I have seen this design in a range of sizes.  That said, ebay sale prices can vary wildly, so it is hard to say whether you or the ebay seller got lucky (I suspect the latter)! Last year I  sold several Perthshire PP1 paperweights on ebay, within a period of a few months, for prices that varied by a factor 8.  In the last few weeks one Harland fish sold for a very high price (equivalent of US $700 I think), whereas a similar one did not sell even though it was on offer for less than a quarter of the price.  There seems to be little logic to what some pieces sell for:  there is probably a 'typical' price for an item, but some big variations about that.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Kellykg1

• Members
    • Murano
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:26:10 PM »
The price swings are crazy..mine is the same size so I suppose I did well. There was a bidding war on this item and I think tat is probably the best way to sell instead of the buy it now option.

Thanks again for the feedback. I took a look at your website and you have some amazing items. I hope I can buy something from it one day.

Kelly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand