Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > New Zealand & Australia Glass

Tony Oliver illustrated glasses

<< < (2/3) > >>

brewster:
Thanks Ross and Misha. Here's the set of Bohemia "Claudia" champagne flutes I mentioned earlier with other bird illustrations by Tony Oliver.

I still cannot find the decanter to match the image with yours, Misha. Perhaps that's a signal I have too much glass? No, that cannot be.

Trevor

brewster:
Sorry, picture missing.

brewster:
Finally, I've located the missing decanter. It seems like the image on mine is the same as yours, Misha, except that my tail feather is not clipped.

The basic similarity of the two examples appears to confirm your theory of a photographically-produced resist for etching (presumably by acid). The clipped feather could be where a bit of foreign matter got in the way.

I'm still puzzled who did the etching and who sold them retail.

Trevor

brewster:
Here I go again, answering my own question years later.

These glasses and decanter were distributed by an enterprise called Macquarie Heritage (which I guess is another brand of that purveyor of fine modern 'collectables' called Macquarie Mint). They were sold in attractive presentation boxes, complete with a leaflet naming and describing each of the birds against a black-and-white print of the image that is etched on each glass. It seems there were four series each of six glasses showing different birds, plus the decanter.

I assume the marketing method was glossy magazine advertisements, in the same way as the other Macquarie Mint items have been sold for years.

My source is a group of ebay sales for each of the sets. The one with the decanter is item 323097119331. The others can be found in the seller's 'other items'.

Trevor

chopin-liszt:
Well done, Trevor.  :)
It's good to finally get an answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version