No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irish Age of Exuberance 2 Piece Cut Glass Bowl & Stand for Show  (Read 1542 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
For show a superb Irish 2 piece cut glass bowl and stand from the Age of Exuberance 1825-30.

Diameter of Bowl 10.75"
Height 8.75"
Weight 2635gm.

The bowl is decorated with strawberry diamonds and has a scalloped rim.

An identical bowl is shown on page 127 of Irish Glass by Phelps Warren and was part of the authors own collection. His whole collection was bequeathed to the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Museum New York in 1986.
In the book Phelps Warren does not say who exactly made the bowl but it came from Bangor near Belfast. Although there was I believe cut glass was made in Belfast as well as Waterford and Cork.

Thanks Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Irish Age of Exuberance 2 Piece Cut Glass Bowl & Stand for Show
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »
I thought I would bring my cut glass bowl out of the loft where it's been mothballed for the last 5 years as it deserves to be on display even if not together side by side base and top to stop the cat knocking over.
Nearly 200 years old and not a chip to be found.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 11:13:40 PM »
Great piece of art, talented cutters, well worth displaying  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:17:15 AM »
yes, thanks for posting Roy - very desirable piece of glass - personally, I'd get shot of the cat - too risky ;)             I know you won't mind me offering a little adjustment re the Age of Exuberance, which Phelps Warren appears to be saying was c. 1780 to 1835  ............    I think the dates you mentioned were what he considered to be the date of manufacture for your bowl.

Love the prismatic cutting on the stem, and of course the fan scallops.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand