No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ajka? looking for confirmation of a colour used on overlay and also engraving  (Read 910 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Did they use an orange - it couldn't be described as amber, not really, it really could only be described as orange.
And can anyone point me in the direction of engraved designs on a cut to clear overlay piece please?
I have bought a new egg :)  I thought it was Ajka (still do) but can't match the orange.
I had thought of one other possible contender (VEB) but the cut design made me think Ajka.  And then I came around to thinking it might have been blown and cut by Ajka and then engraved by Russian engraver possibly (the motif design is seen on Russian pieces), as I haven't been able to find an engraved and cut to clear Ajka piece.
Grateful for any help and thank you.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
First of all, check here
 http://ajka-crystal.hu/en/aboutus
VEB is not an option, it means 'people's factory'  and in the GDR days all companies were VEBs. But I also do not believe the commie Germans produced eggs for orthodox russians, I just cannot see them do it.. The Serbians would have, the Hungarians might have, the Poles might - just not the GDR.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok, that's a good point  ;D
So, if a label reads VEB, it could come from any number of factories in East Germany GDR days?  I think I've another piece with that label on somewhere.

Well, I think the cut design could well have been done by Ajka,  so I think that is a possible contender then.
I did search the linked site but couldn't see anything on there.  Shame there are not more references for Ajka really.
I will look into Serbia, and otherwise I might have another good look to see if any Russian glass has come out of Gus Khrustalny in this orange.

Thanks Ivo.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Sorry my Gus book is in B/W, but I am sure the produced orange.

http://www.srpskafabrikastakla.com/katalog-proizvoda/
they seem to have pulled back and only produce slivowits bottles and jam jars now.

Anyway, try and run this one through Google images:

стекло пасхальное яйцо

have fun.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok - Yes I think Gus Khrustalny did do orange - sure there is something in one of my books somewhere. 

will check out the link and thank you.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
just had a quick look on the link - I am going to have a lovely day.
Found a forum already :)
Thank you.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
putting the pics side by side the egg appears (v.difficult to be sure from photos and don't have the egg yet) to be the same orange as the vase on the far right of this picture
http://towntravel.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/21-%D0%94%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5-%D1%8D%D0%BA%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%B8-%D0%B2-%D0%BC%D1%83%D0%B7%D0%B5%D0%B5-%D1%85%D1%80%D1%83%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8F.jpg

absolutely no idea why the link  is so very long but it appears to work.
The vase I mean is far right middle row - wide at base tapering to narrow with a flared rim and engraved.
Gus Khrustalny also did engraved over cut glass.
Leaning well away from Ajka now as the design is not the same although a similar idea.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm very happy :) my egg arrived today and it's perfectly perfect and lived up to all expectations.
Hollow and overlay orange on clear.
Bigger than the clear engraved egg with St Basil's cathedral on it.
As big as the cameo glass egg.

'Modern' (based on the fact that it doesn't glow bright yellow under uv light like the brown egg does) but no idea how modern that might be or where it might be from yet.
Some similarities with other items I've found but nothing definitive so far.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand