No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight Crackle glass Perfume Bottle with Fish Decorated Stopper  (Read 1990 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Any info on this perfume bottle would be much appreciated .

I bought this perfume bottle recently which has an Isle of Wight label The original on the base which after research would date it 1996/2014. I know labels can migrate so also checking if Isle of Wight is correct as I cannot find another similar one on a quick search.

The bottle has a crackle finish which changes colour depending on how you hold the bottle to the light. A slight iridescence. The stopper is decorated with 3 fish.
Height 4.25" or 10.5cm.

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
It looks like it could be an example of Crizzle and Cameo: http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/crizzlecameo

Not one I have seen before, probably hard to find...

If Anton sees this he may be able to add more otherwise you could contact Ron Wheeler at Artius Glass.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
There was a selection of crizzled perfume bottled produced, (for sale just to club members to start off with) it did prove popular and several more were produced. I think this white and silver foil sort was after the first, brightly multicoloured lot. Very recent, not common.
Like John, I don't know of any with Fish decorated stoppers. They were normally coloured and divided into two bent pointy bits - like a jester's hat.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Thank you very much for both of your replies.

I did wonder if at first it was the correct stopper, I am sure it is as it fits absolutely perfect .

Thanks Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :)
After I'd written what I did, I realised that there was an official "Crizzle and Cameo" range as John pointed out on Anton's wiki site, produced after the multicoloured ones - your stopper is cameo, it will be part of that range.
But it is likely to be one of the "high end" limited edition ranges, not ordinary everyday production.

Is it signed?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Thank you very much for the information. I have doubled checked and the bottle is not signed.

Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Can someone point me to the crizzle and cameo pieces please?
I can't see cameo on the ones showing here.
And the little card just says it is the Crizzle collection
http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/crizzlecameo

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
You were looking at them, did you read the text under each photo? They also look like incalmo to me.

Examples of Crizzle: http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/crizzle

I suspect Roy's perfume bottle dates from the first production period, 1999 to 2001, this is some of the current offering: http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/product-category/crizzle/
where they are described as incalmo...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes I did :)
but none of them look to have any cameo work on them?  or is it me?
They look engraved and gilded but no raised cameo on those pieces.  Or perhaps all the wording on the top piece is cameo is it?
But the gilded swirls pieces have no cameo work on them do they?
And the little card just refers to the range as 'Crizzle', not 'Crizzle and Cameo'.

So is the word 'Cameo' used to denote the name of the range, rather than the fact that it is actual cameo work on the piece i.e. carved in relief?

I can see that the fish stopper on OP's bottle is cameo, but I can't see any cameo on those on that link  :-\
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I do wish my memory was consistent!
My brother has a "crizzle and cameo" piece. It's like the first one on Anton's site - satinated purply maroon, but it does have a band of cameo carving where the millenial logo is on the image there.
I can't remember what it is of.

It's perfectly possible that Anton just hasn't been able to find any better examples to show, yet.

It is also highly likely he'd love images of your bottle to put there, Roy. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand