No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 18th Century Style Glass Twist Stem  (Read 1013 times)

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
18th Century Style Glass Twist Stem
« on: March 26, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
This glass came in a mixed lot I bought at auction a few months ago but I've just got round to taking photos of it now. It measures 22.2cm in height, 6.9cm across the bowl, 7.3cm across the foot and is very light weighing only 132g. Obviously blown as there are clear ripples or striations in the glass along with some small inclusions and bubbles with a conical foot and broken, unpolished pontil mark. Now I'm pretty sure this is a modern reproduction however as can hopefully be seen in the photos there is significant wear around the rim of the foot. So my question is this, I'm aware of many of the techniques that are employed in the production of fake Chinese antiques which give the impression of age so are people doing the same with glass in order to deceive or is this just natural wear in your opinion.

Thanks.

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: 18th Century Style Glass Twist Stem
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 05:31:50 PM »
Couple of more images

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
The wear does seem a tad harsh,I don't know enough about reproductions so I hope this turns into a good thread.Interesting you mention inclusions in the glass??i wonder if the real wear was lost reducing the foot?,anyway enough of my flounderings in the dark!

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply bat20, not sure I'm following you fully with regards to the foot being reduced, you think the foot has been ground down?

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
Hi Roy,I only suggested that if it is a composite stem wine glass from the mid 18 century,the bowl looks a bit exaggerated without the thickness in the bottom you'd expect,but I don't know enough to say for sure.People do copy old glass,I don't know if they go as far as to add stones and seeds though?let's hope someone else will share their knowledge.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »
It looks too regular to be from the 1700s but people have been copying antique styles for a very long while so the age wear could be genuine

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:02:15 AM »
 Hi ,
          The glass is a reproduction of an 18th c style,but not quite right !!,as Christine says copies have been around for a very long time and this one could be anything from last week to possibly a 100 yrs old, seeds,inclusions etc are signs of being hand made and not introduced for fakery , just the results of being hand blown , the wear to me looks pretty normal for something that's possibly been around for a few decades and does not in my opinion look reduced in size.

cheers ,

Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand