No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Horse racing GOOD LUCK commemorative bowl.  (Read 758 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Horse racing GOOD LUCK commemorative bowl.
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:13:23 PM »
In one form or another these things abound, commemorating very many things but just my luck that I don't recall ever seeing this particular one, so from that point of view I'm thinking it must have some scarcity interest.
It's been suggested this was issued in connection with the British Derby (Epsom) during the Edwardian period (first decade of the C20), but that may well be guesswork, and I can't find the pattern in my books on pressed glass, and could be wrong but don't think there is a Carnival equivalent.
I didn't know the story behind the superstition  ...........    something to do with a blacksmith named Dunstan who had an altercation with old Nick.            Having imprisoned the devil, Dunstan agreed to set him free only on condition that the devil never went into houses that had a horseshoe nailed to the door......    hence the habit of nailing said shoe onto door to ward off Lucifer and bring good luck.      Dunstan went on to become a big cheese at Canterbury Cathedral apparently!

Needless to say the piece lacks any marks.                            Diameter is about 9.5 inches and something like 1.75 inches deep (c. 240 mm and 45 mm), and assuming British in view of the text.

I've tried the Board's search without luck, so has anyone seen this before, and is the maker known, please.                thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Horse racing GOOD LUCK commemorative bowl.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »
If it was the Derby, 100 years celebration, circa 1880?

There's a similar one on this old ebay listing, bowl shape

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-2-GLASS-GOOD-LUCK-HORSESHOE-POLO-DERBY-HAT-DISHES-BOWLS-/361267514381

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
many thanks Neil..........       can see your reasoning since the Epsom Derby started in 1780 apparently  -  annoying when commemorative pieces don't include either the inauguration or centenary dates, or a name relating to an event.             Of course this may have nothing to do with the Derby, and could simply be a tourist/fairground piece which may have been either sold or given away gratis at any number of race meetings in the country - we may never know.

It does appear to be very uncommon whichever way you look at it.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
Hi,
           Not that I have the first clue about glass of this type but has the Polo connection been overlooked , the ebay listing mentions Polo and the plate has Polo sticks on it , so maybe not horse racing related ? or am I missing something ?

cheers,

Peter

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »
hi Peter  -  my mistake in not making reference to discount 'polo sticks, as mentioned by the ebay seller..............     to the best of my short-sighted knowledge there aren't any polo mallets shown within the image of my plate, nor on the ebay pictures in Neil's link.
The overall picture on both my bowl and the ebay seller's plates/dishes is the same, although slightly trimmed down pictures in the link                 ............. aside from the horseshoes, there is a racing 'cap', riding crops and what appear to be shortened versions of hunting horns, but no T shaped polo mallets that I can see. :)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
Hi ,
             There you go , told you I knew nothing , cant even tell the difference between polo sticks and riding crops,

Back to the safety of the 18thc and before for me ,

cheers ,

Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand