No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unidentified glue chip vase  (Read 2351 times)

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
unidentified glue chip vase
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:19:30 AM »
Here is a vase that is sure to confound the most knowledgeable art glass collector. I have been collecting for 15 years and it really frustrates me after 5 years of research, I still have not identified this one. the vase stands 12-1/2" tall with a 3-3/4" base and a 6" by 6" upper rim area at the shoulders. There is extensive wear to the base. there are no identifiable markings to the base by any means. the glass is heavy and thick and the foot of the vase is highly unusual. It is a opeac clear glass on the base area graduating into a green color towards the top. All corners are rounded off. It is essentially Square in shape from a birds eye view with the softened corners. the vase has a indent or pinch on all four sides. the upper vase opening is located at the top after the vase sides curve in level from the shoulder edges and is circular. the inside rim diameter is 4-1/8". The pattern or texture is a very consistent glue chip technique. Any help would be appreciated. The only two possibilities I can come up with are Pierre D'Avesn, France or Maurice Marinot France as well.  here is a link where I have this vase posted and you can see it.  Michael. http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/187422-unknown-fabulous-glue-chip-vase-art-nou

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: unidentified glue chip vase
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:44:17 AM »
Interesting vase, I don't remember seeing anything like it before. Could you add your photos to this topic? They will be a permanent reference then.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
My guts (for which I take no responsibility, sorry!  ;)) think this might be reasonably recent Polish.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Maurice Marinot. Sorry, I can't help more. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:28:58 AM »
My guts (for which I take no responsibility, sorry!  ;)) think this might be reasonably recent Polish.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Maurice Marinot. Sorry, I can't help more. :)

Can you be more specific other than Polish? New? Extensive wear to the base so this makes this a recent piece?

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 02:34:55 AM »
Interesting vase, I don't remember seeing anything like it before. Could you add your photos to this topic? They will be a permanent reference then.

John
Dear John, Quite a confusing web site! I have not been here for quite along time. I would love to send a photo or two and did try to upload a couple of photos but the web site is saying it has to be a certain size and I do not know how to reduce the photos I have taken. Got any ideas? Michael.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 03:33:41 AM »
Michael, we have lots of helpful info in the HELP forum, including several on how to create images to fit our size limits. Check this one out to start with: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 07:33:33 AM »
attempt at photos

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »
if you can reduce your photos to 600 by 400 pixels they should fit the size requirements and upload :) hope this helps.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »
 ;D
I'm ancient, the '80s were just yesterday.
Age-related wear can appear quite quickly on a piece that is moved around a lot, especially on crystal as it is soft.
Unfortuanately, there is not a great deal known about the masses of good quality glass produced in Poland over the last 20 odd years or so. They've just been busily making good quality glass, much of which was sold as "Krosno" but that is a very large land area where glassmaking takes place. We know almost nothing of the actual manufacturers and now, it's sold under a generic importing business called LSA.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »
I agree with Sue age wear on the foot does not mean a lot at all, I picked up two pieces today 1870's in date and look brand new, no wear, nothing.  My favourite coke glass that's been on here before, I think ten years old,  looks Georgian in date. It's all to do with weight, movement and use. Karlin Rushbrooke liked his four hole thing, very 1970's.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand