No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal comport, Reg.No.681649, 12th March 1921  (Read 11015 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Stuart Crystal comport, Reg.No.681649, 12th March 1921
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »
Here's a Stuart salt with Stratford rings I picked up in Utrecht of all places. It measures just 3.3cm tall and as shown in Chris' catalogue page.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
very nice find David, and quite rare possibly  ..............   this shape is also showing on the top line of the page of factory patterns of various S/Rings shapes - page 236 of the Andy McConnell's volume of Miller's '20th Century Glass'.            I can't quite make out the factory number for this shape, but it looks to be 22204  -  is that showing on Chris Stewart's  catalogue page do you know??

Is there an acid-etched Reg. No. on the bottom can you see.                    The Miller's book comments that "each shape was registered as it was introduced from 1921"        Although Andy McConnell uses a lower case r, it does look as though he means Registered - as in Board of Trade - since he writes  -  "The registration Nos. were often acid-etched onto the foot of each piece  ..............  etc. etc.
Having said all this, Fred will probably now say we already have this shape and know the Rd. No. ;)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »
22204 is correct, but it's not Chris Stewart, but Chris Parry - see previous page, two topics from the bottom.

The acid-etched mark is simply 'Stuart'.

I'll post another photo tomorrow showing the salt against a grapefruit dish in the same colour. It gives you a better idea of the size.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
Re. Paul's reply#21
Having said all this, Fred will probably now say we already have this shape and know the Rd. No
I don't have any reference photos with a Stuart RD number corresponding to the salt shape.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
thanks for the correction David  -  what you might call a comment based on a pre-conceived idea ;D

thanks Fred  -  coming back to the Stratford patterns in the McConnell book .........  apparently the page depicted is from Stuart's 1938 - 39 catalogue, so that doesn't really help us to know when this salt was Registered - which would probably have been some long time prior to that date, imho.             You'd imagine that a salt for the table would have been a much more likely requirement then, than now, and so an item deemed a basic necessity.
Between February 1921 and August 1922, for example, this factory Registered something like 22 difference designs - although it's not possible off-hand to say if these were all variations on the Stratford Rings, but a fair bet so say many were.               I'll try and find this one when I visit Kew, either later this week or early next, unless we locate in in the meantime.                 I'm surprised we do have this one - rarity value again I guess.

Offline Robin G

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • open salts, art glass
    • United States
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 04:03:55 AM »
Hi Fred- Remember that mine is catalog-listed as a sweet. It had an RD #- I was thrilled that it matched up to something.

Offline Robin G

• Members
    • open salts, art glass
    • United States
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 04:05:59 AM »
David, your yellow ( amber? I don't know Stuart's names for their colors) salt with the rings is really beautiful. Thanks for showing me.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
apologies for the typos in my last scribble.                   Have an idea that this colour is simply called amber, as Robin suggests.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »
Robin: Thanks. I was quite surprised to find this in Holland.

Here is the photo showing it in comparison to the grapefruit dish.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Robin G

• Members
    • open salts, art glass
    • United States
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
Lovely- both of them, but I love the little guy best. Now, just find a few more for your message board friends! This is the first salt I've had with an RD # that I really like. All my others- Sowerby, Davidson, etc are OK but not as "pretty" as I usually like.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand