No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal comport, Reg.No.681649, 12th March 1921  (Read 10957 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Stuart Crystal comport, Reg.No.681649, 12th March 1921
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
Found this at Newark last Thursday at a really good price.

Appears to have the Stratford rings around the base of the bowl, and is clearly marked RD 681649, which dates it to 12th March 1921. As usual with this enameled items, the cold painting has flaked a little in places, but overall not too bad.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Stuart Crystal comport, Reg.No.681649, 12th March 1921
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:47:46 PM »
Looks like you had a good day, great finds, ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 03:31:14 PM »
great find David, congratulations :)  -  agree it's a shame some of the painting suffers on these enamelled items.

You're right about the original date of first Registration for 'Stratford Rings' design.         

According to Andy McConnell there were something like 600 enamelled designs introduced between 1928 and 1939, with Ludwig Kny being responsible for the mostly floral patterns until 1933 when Geoffrey Stuart provided the more fashionable Art Deco designs.          McConnell suggests that most of these enamelled patterns were in fact added to Stratford Rings shapes...................   anyway you only have another 599 to go ;)

Date wise looks to be from somewhere between the late '20's and the late '30's, and always possible yours is one of the Kny designs, but that's just my opinion.

Although you don't give a size David, my thoughts are this is not a comport  -  do you think more likely a cocktail glass of some sort  -  which would fit in with the period ??               Of course, if it's nine inches across the top then you could be right ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the extra info. No, it's far larger than it looks: 16.5cm (6½in) diameter and 17cm (6¾in) high! If not a comport then perhaps a sweet/bon-bon dish.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
Looks like you have pattern 28376, minus the birds, here is one I found yesterday, part cut part etched.

3 1/2 inches in height, 4 1/4 inches across the rim.

The pattern looks cheap and rushed on mine.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 07:25:18 AM »
Both of ours are described as sweet dishes.
Chris Parry

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:51:15 AM »
That's good - a comport would be larger and flatter, I suppose.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Robin G

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • open salts, art glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 04:11:18 AM »
Bruce Banner ( Chris Parry?) Sorry I don't know you all yet. Does your Stuart catalog have any pages of open salts? I have a colorful painted enamel one, maybe with Stratford rings. Tall flowers and butterflies. It is signed, and has RD 682592. I love it, can post photo if anyone is interested.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »
I think that's a good idea Robin.

682592 and 682593 were both Registered on 2nd May 1921, and presumably both were for protection of their 'shape'  -  the latter was a pickle with ground glass stopper and included 'Stratford Rings', and we have a picture on the Board's list of Registrations.            I have a Kew image of 682592. and this is described on the original factory drawing as a Sweet Dish - in fact it has a slightly flared rim shaped foot (minus any kind of stem), and again shows 'Stratford Rings'.            I can't seem to find a picture for it in the Board's Registrations section - but that means nothing  -  I seem to lose them, often!               I can't recall seeing the shape of 682592 previously - it may be a scarce shape, or perhaps I've just missed seeing on my travels, and perhaps it's common.

So it appears that your 682592 'open salt' appears to be a Sweet Dish - and if Fred tells me he doesn't have the Kew image then I can post that too. 
When you say signed Robin, assume your mean it has the period backstamp for Stuart, rather than someone's actual signature? :)

Offline Robin G

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • open salts, art glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
Yes, Paul, backstamp. I don't think I'm the only American who equates that with a "signed" piece. I'll try to adapt to the nomenclature you use on this board. I had no idea all the RD numbers are illustrated and tabulated. Anyway, here is my little piece. After WW I  we salt collectors find that many companies continued to make these small items but didn't call them salts anymore, if they ever did. But we sure love to find them and the sizes relate well to other containers in our collections. This "sweet" is actually smaller ( at 2 3/8"h x less than 3"w) than many other items that different company catalogs call "salts".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand