No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Cut Decanter, not 'Waterford' pattern, so which?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Stuart Cut Decanter, not 'Waterford' pattern, so which?
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:31:29 AM »
not being too bright at understanding the Board's locations I posted the details you see below into what I assumed was 'British etc.', only to spend half the evening being unable to find my contribution.                     I'd overlooked the fact that due to the nature of the original posters comments, the entire thread had been relegated to 'Market Place'.

Anyway, on the assumption there might be some soul with nothing to do and who might wish to read my words - here they are.       
Am also including the 'Market Place' link  -  it may be of interest showing, as it does, related comments regarding Stuart's 'Waterford' cut pattern..................       http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59680.msg337199.html#msg337199

""At least I think this one is 'Waterford'  -  there seems to be some variation in what might loosely be described as a butterfly outline  -  a large rectangle with a substantial mitred cut within each of the four segments, producing a sort of 'four wings appearance'.                 Of course, if someone knows it's some other pattern shout quickly.

The backstamp is simply the word Stuart - no England - and the final t has a wrigley tail.             In view of the lack of staining, base wear and good overall condition - combined with the type of backstamp, then I'm going to suggest the date of manufacture is around 1950 - 60.
It will no doubt go back out to the charity shop very soon, but for £2.99 I couldn't resist it.

I was tempted to suggest the shape was a form of bludgeon, but now not sure, and it could even be something rather obscure called a 'Taper-globe' - an Anglo-Irish form made originally c. 1800 - 1820 - a hybrid derived from the taper and shaft-and-globe - but there other folk here much better at decanters, and they may know correctly which shape this is.""

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart Cut Decanter, not 'Waterford' pattern, so which?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:43:14 PM »
since I seem to have been wrong with my attribution, grateful if the Mods. will amend the subject heading - thanks. :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »
Hi Paul,

What would you like the title be?

Unfortunately the Market Place thread seems to me to be much discussion without an obvious conclusion - or have I not seen the obvious bit?
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »
thanks..............     I think the only conclusion was that the cut pattern on my decanter isn't 'Waterford'. :)              With help from Chris, we appear to have located differently shaped pieces with the same cutting, but the difficulty remains that we don't have a factory name, or No., for my decanter and cutting, or the cutting on its own  -   so nothing with which to positively designate this one.

As for changing the title of this thread, I think the most we can do for now is to say simply that this is a Stuart cut glass decanter (or just Stuart Cut Decanter)............   probably my mistake in the first place to have added it to the 'Market Place' thread which was definitely 'Waterford', and unrelated to my piece.
Could be an idea in fact to adjust the 'Market Place' conversation to remove entirely my waffle re this bottle.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
Thanks Paul,

I settled on:
1. Thread title modified (and for all the other posts here).
2. "Mod comment" and link to this thread added to your post showing the decanter pics in the Market Place.
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 06:43:41 PM »
Topics where the OP posts a link to a live sale are moved to Market Place as per board descriptions, Paul. Once the listing has ended the topic is edited and returned to a discussion forum without the sale listing. Hope that helps.   We can also merge this topic into the original one once it comes back.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »
thanks Anne.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand