No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible slumped Nazeing bowl.  (Read 995 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Possible slumped Nazeing bowl.
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »
Of course, it might not be Nazeing but looks to have the right colour and bubbles, so will go with that provenance for the time being.

The colour is one of the 'greens' - possibly a little too turquoise for Sherwood - and certainly at the extreme end of green.        The slightly rough scar under the base, plus the bubble structure and colour are good candidates for Nazeing  -  but it's the shape, produced I assume on a slump mould that makes it unusual.             
Nowhere in the Nazeing book can I find anything of a shape that would suggest the factory were using this method for shaping bowls, and apart from some ashtrays, there is nothing that I can see other than circular rims.

Diameter is a tad under 6 inches (c. 150 mm).

So, a bit confused  -  is this a trial piece or did Nazeing use slump moulds and it's just a case that nothing managed to get into the book  -  or simply nothing to do with Nazeing??                    Age wise I'd have thought somewhere around 1950 - 60.

All thoughts welcome and thanks for looking

Ref.   '75 years of diverse Glass-making to the World  -  A celebration of Nazeing Glass Works 1928 - 2003  -  Geoffrey C. Timberlake  -  2003.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Possible slumped Nazeing bowl.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »
Manual shaping I suggest rather than slumping

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
I take your word for that Christine  -  am sure you know lots more about this type of production than me - thanks for putting me right :)            I can say that when inverted, the six 'points' are very uniform in their position, so I assumed a mechanical method.                 Are you able to suggest how this is created manually?

I'm still of the opinion that it originated with Nazeing, and as such is a shape that appears unrecorded in Timberlake's book.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »
Years of experience...and suitable tools

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 10:43:17 PM »
Hi, i would agree with Nazeing, I have one very similar if not identical, same colour and pontil scar which matches my other Nazeing pieces  :D
Roberta

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand